She just looked up at me, her eyes soft and understanding.

"I've seen way too many people I love unconscious in hospital beds," I said, my voice breaking.

Jo just looked at me and grabbed my shoulder. "You're okay."

~*~

Jo

"Can you keep an eye on him?" I muttered to Lena, nodding over at Fred.

He looked deep in thought, which scared me a little bit. I knew Fred, and he would've killed him if anyone would've given him the go.

"What do you want to drink?" I asked, looking over at her.

"Just a water," she quietly said. I patted her thigh before standing up.

I walked over to Fred and rested my hand on his shoulder. "You want anything?"

He shook his head subtly and I just flexed my jaw, nodding. I walked out of the waiting room and over to the vending machines, seeing Milo sitting by himself.

"Hey, Mi," I greeted, getting a water for Lena.

He just looked up at me and I smiled a weak smile down at him.

"You want to come sit with us?" I asked, grabbing the water that fell out of the vending machine.

He just sighed. "Fred's really upset."

I nodded, leaning against the wall. "We all are, she's family."

He sniffled, leaning back in his seat. "I told her I hated her earlier today."

I just looked down at him. "I think both of you know you didn't mean that."

He looked up at me. "What if that's the last thing-"

"Hey," I said, shaking my head, "no one's going to let anything happen to her. She's got some of the best doctors and nurses in the country watching over her."

He just looked up at me and shook his head. "That doesn't matter."

I sat down next to him, my elbows braced on my thighs. "Just have a little faith, okay?"

He looked over at me and I smiled, patting his shoulder before standing up. "Nothing's going to happen to her."

I walked away from him and rubbed my eyes, gulping. Alexis and I had been best friends since we were sixteen, and seeing her in such a position wasn't easy for me. I stayed strong for Fred though, because I knew if I broke down, it would give him every reason to do something stupid.

I felt my breathing become heavy and I just leaned against the wall, squeezing my eyes shut to stop the tears. I regained my breath and looked down at the water in my hands, chewing on the inside of my bottom lip.

I let out a breath and stood upright, walking into the waiting area. Lena just looked up at me with a small smile. "Thank you."

I smiled and sat down next to her, my eyes fixated on Fred. I knew he would have to completely start over with the Chicago thing, he probably wouldn't even be able to go now.

"Are you okay?" Lena asked, her hand on my shoulder.

I nodded, looking over at her. "It's hard seeing him like that."

She rubbed my back. "And Alexis?"

I flexed my jaw, my hands fisted in front of my mouth. "Harder than you'll ever know."

She rested her head on my shoulder and I pressed a kiss to her forehead, hopeful that everything would be okay.

~*~

Fred

I leaned against the waiting room doors, my jaw taut. I'd never felt more weak.

"That's why I was scared of having boys!" I heard from inside the waiting room.

I just furrowed my brows slightly and leaned closer.

"Well you can probably understand why I'm more than happy we didn't have a girl," Dad snapped.

"I was scared they'd turn out like you, I knew they would," Mom snapped, "and look at them. They're holograms of you."

Dad busted through the waiting room doors and I just looked at him, making him look over at me.

"Talk to her," he muttered, and I just looked at Mom.

"Fred, that wasn't supposed to be a hit at you," she said, looking up at me.

I just cautiously walked into the waiting area, my jaw taut. I sat down in my chair and sighed, resting my face in my hands. "That's the words I really needed today."

She sat down next to me and sighed. "I can't seem to stop putting my foot in my mouth with you boys, can I?"

I didn't respond, but the answer was definitely no.

"Can I tell you a story?" She asked, looking over at me.

I just pulled my face away from my hands.

"Is that a yes?"

I subtly nodded and she crossed her right leg over her left. "So your dad and I, we were probably, I don't know, twenty, twenty-one maybe. You look identical to him, by the way."

I just looked over at her.

"And I'd known he'd had a bad day at work, this was when you had to actually visit people to know how they were," she said, clearing her throat, "and I told him I was going to get groceries to fix his favorite meal."

I just listened carefully.

"So he'd gotten home before me, and when I opened the door, the house was pretty much destroyed," she chuckled out, shaking her head, "he'd thrown glass at the walls, his hands were bloody, chairs were broken."

I just furrowed my brows.

"And I remember helping him clean up, and he apologized for the mess he'd made," she said, nodding, "and I still made him his favorite meal."

"Mom, wh-"

"His temper's calmed down with age, of course," she said, nodding, "but you and your brother, the temper you have on you, it's dangerous."

I just looked over at her, chewing on my bottom lip.

"You need to be careful," she said, "don't let that temper fall on the wrong person. Please."

I just leaned my head back. "The only person my temper's fallen on is the guy that put her in that hospital bed. So it hasn't fallen on the wrong person, I promise."

I kissed her head and stood up, walking out of the waiting area.

~*~

hi!!!

weLL

i told u ur heart would break bc that shit was sad as fuck

and also unsettling bc Fred..... that baby :'(

ugh

him and Jo about throw down in the next chapter but it's all for good reason so uhHhHH just be ready :)

ily guys 💕 hope u have a wonderful day

^_^