0.1

"I am going to die if I do not get coffee sometime in the next ten minutes," Layla groans, pushing the door of the school open.

"Calm down, we'll go to a coffee shop on our way home," Gabbie says while lacing her fingers with Jack's.

"Where are the other four?" Layla asks, praying she doesn't have to third wheel this.

"Don't know where Zach or Alissa are and the lovebirds are staying after for English," Jack answers causing Layla to nod. "Can I just drop you off at the coffee shop down the street from your house? I have football practice."

"Yeah, that's fine. Gabbie are you coming with me or?" Layla trails off, getting into the back of Jack's car.

"No, my mom needs me at home for some reason that she literally will not tell me," Gabbie sighs as Jack begins to make his way towards the coffee shop. "Please drink a coffee for me."

"Will do," Layla giggles, leaning back in her seat. The rest of the ride is filled with Jack humming along to the radio and Gabbie's nails tapping against her phone screen. The car soon pulls up to the curb of the coffee shop and Layla jumps out, bidding the couple goodbye.

She waves them off before hiking her bag up and on to her shoulder. Pushing her way into the small cafe, the aroma of coffee immediately hits her. Observing the room quickly, she spots a familiar brunette in the corner.

Walking over, Layla slides into the cushiony seat across from the girl. The other girl doesn't even acknowledge Layla, too focused on her homework and music. Layla reaches her hand out, waving it in front of the younger girl's face. The girl flinches violently, ripping her earbuds out.

"Jesus fucking Christ, Layla, don't do that!" Alissa exclaims, sinking back in her seat. "What are you doing here?"

"I need caffeine so Jack dropped me off," Layla answers while setting her bag down next to the small coffee table in front of the two girls. "Why are you here?"

"Focus on my homework and music," Alissa replies, gesturing to the papers laid out in front of her. "Gotta figure something out for chorus and my mind is just blanking."

"I'll help, let me just go order quickly," Layla offers before standing up with her wallet in hand. She heads over to the counter, stepping into line. When she finally reaches the front, she's greeted by a taller boy with ocean blue eyes.

"Hi, what can I get for you?" The boy asks, clicking the pen in his hand a couple of times.

"Hey, can I get a medium caramel iced coffee with milk and a plain bagel with cream cheese?" Layla replies, pulling her card out of her wallet. The boy nods, writing down her order.

"That will be $5.76," The boy tells her, quickly making her drink. He slides it over to her, taking her card and swiping it. "The bagel will be brought to your table. Can I have a name for it?"

"Layla, thank you..." Layla trails off, her eyes searching for a name tag. "Daniel."

Layla turns and heads back to where Alissa is sitting, iced coffee in hand. When she slides back into her seat, Alissa doesn't even stop writing. Layla places the cup down before reaching into her bag and pulling out her own homework.

The girls work in silence, earbuds in tuning out the background noise. As Layla stares at a physics question, having absolutely no fucking idea on how to solve it, a tall boy with feathery blonde hair walks over with her bagel. She pulls one of her earbuds out as he approaches.

"Layla?" The boy asks. Layla can't help but notice he's not wearing an apron or anything that would resemble a uniform.

"That's me," Layla responds with a soft smile. The boy sends her a charming smile before setting the plate down in front of her. "Uh, this may be stupid but do you work here?"

"That's not a stupid question but no I don't. I'm one of Daniel's friends and he needed some help so I'm well, helping him," The boy explains, gesturing behind him to Daniel who's running around frantically, almost dropping everything in his arms. "I'm Eben."

"Unique," Layla nods, sticking her hand out to shake his. "It's nice to meet you, Eben."

"You too, Layla," Eben replies before glancing down at her worksheet. "You seemed to be struggling with this, do you want some help?"

"Oh fuck you get this?" Layla laughs, pointing at the sheet that makes zero sense to her. "Usually I would ask Lissa but she's freaking out over her chorus project."

"Chorus? I can help her out if she needs it," Eben offers, glancing at the other girl who is oblivious to his presence.

"You sure it's not a bother to you? I thought you were helping out Daniel," Layla questions, nervously fiddling with her pencil.

"I think the rush of customers is over so he should be good and it's not a bother at all," Eben shrugs. "It's completely up to you guys."

"Hold on," Layla holds up a finger before reaching over and getting Alissa's attention. Alissa glances over to Eben before frowning and pulling an earbud out. She raises an eyebrow, gesturing for Layla to continue. "This is Eben and he can help you with your project if you want."

"Uh..." Alissa trails off. "I think I'm good?"

"Alright, I can still help you out if you want, I just need to get my backpack," Eben waits for Layla to nod before turning around to grab his bag. Alissa turns to Layla with a confused face.

"Why is he offering to help me?" Alissa asks, stopping her music completely and putting her earbuds away. "Also, do you know him or?"

"Just met him and he offered to help with physics," Layla responds, placing her pencil down on the table. "I don't want to bother you because of your project. He said that he could help you so."

Before Alissa can respond, Eben returns with a smile on his face. Alissa simply puts her headphones back in, zeroing in on her homework. Layla snaps back to reality and moves over so Eben can sit next to her.

"So, uh, what the fuck is this and how do I solve it?" Layla giggles, pointing to question she needs help with. Eben laughs before beginning to explain how to solve the problem.

***

@laylagrace- i need caffeinegabbieegonzalez and 119 others like this17 commentsalissabyers- stunninggabbieegonzalez- beautyjackaverymusic- i just dropped you off at the coffee shopcorbynbesson- overdramaticbeautychickee- cutieeeimzachherron- so go...

gabbieegonzalez and 119 others like this
17 comments
alissabyers- stunning
gabbieegonzalez- beauty
jackaverymusic- i just dropped you off at the coffee shop
corbynbesson- overdramatic
beautychickee- cutieee
imzachherron- so go get coffee?

@alissabyers- i don't know what the fuck i'm doingbeautychickee and 103 others like this11 commentslaylagrace- gorgeousbeautychickee- pretty girlgabbieegonzalez- that's my best friendcorbynbesson- what a moodjackaverymusic- the assignment really i...

beautychickee and 103 others like this
11 comments
laylagrace- gorgeous
beautychickee- pretty girl
gabbieegonzalez- that's my best friend
corbynbesson- what a mood
jackaverymusic- the assignment really isn't that hard
imzachherron- do you ever know what you're doing?