Chapter 11- Babysitting Mishaps

Start from the beginning

            "Ummm," I began to panic and looked over to Mariam who was sitting on the single couch, legs criss-crossed, earphones in listening to God knows what, and a laptop in her lap. All the meanwhile, she looked at me and snickered, probably of pain I was yet to endure due to her little brother. Who knew he would be such a hassle? "Okay, okay, I'll count to ten and you go hide. Then, I'll go find you. But you have to be very quiet because Teta is sleeping, okay?" I practically begged. He nodded innocently and turned away. Hypocrite. I counted to ten and started to look for him, but then the doorbell rang and I rushed to get to it before it woke up Teta. She's been getting really tired lately and I don't want to prevent her from any sleep she can muster. She's been having frequent headaches too and we think it's because of the stress from running the shoppe, so we've told her to lend it over to Cameron and I for now so she can get the well-deserved rest she needs.

            I slipped on a sweater that was hanging in the closet and a random hijab before opening the door. Cameron stood there in a white Hollister t-shirt and jeans, both spattered with paint. He's been helping us by doing odd-jobs around the house ever since Adam's been gone a lot. He helps mow the lawn, repair the roof, fix the driveway etc. Basically whatever he finds lacking, he insists on fixing it. Mama and Teta were so mindset in paying him, even though he keeps refusing, that they make direct deposits into his account. I don't even know how they get his bank account number, but seeing as he isn't wary of his balance, it makes Mama and Teta happy, like they have their own inside joke. Cameron says he just helps out for the food, because Teta is always cooking for him, and Mama is always so appreciative of his help. It is sweet, don't get me wrong, and I admire his set determination. I just find it unnecessary on his behalf. Teta and Mama already like him enough.

            "Who there ninja," Cameron laughed at my sanitation mask and I just rolled my eyes. "What's with the ghetto look?"

            "First, Teta's sleeping, so don't ring the doorbell," I said realizing that it was too late. "And Adam set me up to a babysitting job without me knowing and I'm sick. So I'm trying to keep them from being sick too," I whispered in my attempt at an explanation.

            "Okay, first," he said mimicking me, "I'm finished with painting the garage door, so you can tell Teta that when she wakes up, and second," he paused with a smirk. This Can't be good. "You're sure liking my sweater, huh?" he pointed to the sweater that I quickly threw on without thought.

            "No, it was just there, and you rang the bell so I had to put something on, and it was just sitting there, so, yeah," I tried to justify.

            "Uh huh," he mused seeming unconvinced.

            "Uh, whatever, there's no point in arguing," I sighed, hand on my hip. He was about to say something when Malik came running to my side yanking on the sweater.

            "Dunya, you promised you'd find me. But you didn't," his lip quivered on the brink of tears.

            "Oh Malik, I'm sorry, this doofis just showed up. How about I hide this time?" I asked as I scooped him up in my arms.

            "Okay," he agreed. "Hi Doofis," he looked to Cameron. "You can come play too if you want," he shrugged. I couldn't help release  string of laughter and Cameron looked at me angrily.

            "You know Dunya, it looks like you need some help babysitting, seeing as though you abandon little kids. I'm bringing Maxy and coming over," he stated with a smug look.

            "No wait, please don't," I begged, but it was no use because he had already left. Oh great. Now not only do I have to take care of two kids, but now that just doubled to four including Cameron and his sister. This is going to be a long day. I kicked the door shut with my foot and returned to the living room. As I let Malik down, he began jumping up and down.