Home

Prompt: After being deployed for over a year and being seriously injured, Robin decides that he can't wait any longer to share his true feelings for his best friend. AU

     The rain was pounding down against the windows of her little apartment as she sat curled up on the couch with a steaming cup of coffee, only half paying attention to the television. They were half-way through August and the rain had been consistent for the past three weeks or so. Not that she minded, she actually quite enjoyed days like these. Days where she had a good excuse to work from home or curl up on the couch with a good book. She was staring out the window, lost in thought when she heard a noise. Glancing over at her front door, she noticed papers sliding beneath the little crack. Her neighbor did have a habit of getting her mail for her. She sighed and set her coffee cup down on the table, standing up and walking over to retrieve the small pile. Most of the time, said pile just consisted of bills or credit card offers that she had absolutely no interest in. She shuffled through it, hand coming to a stop on a small envelope with familiar handwriting. Tossing the rest of the long-forgotten mail onto the table, she walked back to the couch and tore at the seal. She wasn't expecting a letter from him. She usually got a few each month, but since June, it was different. This was only her third, and while she still consistently sent him letters, she was never really confident that they all made it to their destination. Gently pulling out the page inside, she unfolded it to read.

Regina,

My deepest apologies for not making more time to write you in the recent months. I mustn't go into detail, but I was moved and otherwise occupied, making it difficult to keep in touch. I know that I was expected to be home a while ago and I wasn't happy to have my stay extended, I assure you. But, it was necessary. Things here haven't been great. You know that I cannot be specific until I am home, but know that I have good reason for being distant.
I was just talking to a friend here on base and telling him how ready I am to be home again, to see you, and to fall back into my normal routine. They have really amped up on security and I feel a bit trapped. It's quite ironic that we are out here fighting for the freedom of our country and all of its people, and yet, we don't have the privilege of said freedom. I wish I could tell you more, but we both know that I am not allowed to do so. I can't wait to be home again, and apparently, I won't have to wait much longer. It appears that I do have some good news. I'll be home sometime within the week. They won't allow me to release any other information about the specifics of my arrival, haven't even given me the details yet, but, as soon as I land on U.S. territory, I am free again. I wanted to give you the heads up, since you'll be the first person I call. I am truly excited to have you in my arms. That's all that I am able to disclose at the moment, but please, keep your phone on you. I would really rather not wait any longer than necessary to see you.

With love, as always,
Robin.

     She dropped the letter in her lap and wiped a tear from her cheek. He was coming home. It'd been fourteen months since she'd last seen her oldest friend. She couldn't help but feel like something was different with him, that there was something he wasn't telling her. Ever since the number of letters decreased by half, she couldn't shake the feeling that he wasn't ok. And then, she got a her first letter from him after the little lapse and she'd felt the weight lifted off her shoulders, he was alright. He would be home any day now. She suddenly didn't feel like sitting around in her apartment. She went to her room, pulled on a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, and slipped into a rain jacket. Twisting her hair up in a bun, she walked back out into the living room and glanced out the window at the pouring rain, a smile appearing on her face. It's oddly fitting. This used to be their thing. She still remembers the first time that they found themselves caught in a downpour. They were just seventeen. Her mother had her on lockdown, but she'd promised she would help him study for his midterm exam. She snuck out after dinner and met him at the park. They were half way through their study session when thunder came out of no where and the rain was only a minute behind. Stuffing all their books in her bag, they both started running, laughing all the way. By the time they made it to his truck, they were both soaking wet from head to toe. She climbed in the passenger seat and threw her head back, a small giggle escaping her mouth. She'd felt more care-free than she ever had before. He'd driven her back to her house, given her a sweatshirt to dry off a bit, and helped her climb the tree outside her bedroom window. Ever since that day, the rain never bothered her.
     Walking out of her building, she looked up to the sky, letting the water stream down her face. That same feeling flooded over her again and she smiled. She walked a few blocks, picked up a sub from her favorite cafe, and turned back toward her apartment building. Placing her keys on the counter and walking towards her bedroom, she started pulling off her wet clothes, grabbing a towel on the way. She slipped into a pair of shorts and the hoodie that he'd given her all those years ago, grabbing her lunch and curling up on the couch to watch a movie. She couldn't wait to receive that phone call.