The Break-Up (One Man's Joy Is Another Man's Anguish)

Author's Note: The guy I like broke up with his girlfriend...and then the ex-girlfriend got with his best friend. Safe to say, he's not talking to either of them, but just for the heck of it, I wanted to use my imagination to make it seem like the friend wasn't the bad guy- it was the crazy ex-girlfriend who is just looking for some sweet revenge. Also, If you want to see the rest of "The Break-up" SCENE, go check out my story "It's Over" where I show my interpretation of how I presume they ended the relationship. Happy readings! =]

He sat there helplessly as the girl sitting across from him began to silently cry due to her recent breakup. He didn't know what to say, he was never one to offer advice, he was only good at listening and saying, "It's going to be alright, man."

That particular line could not be used in this case- he was talking, no, he was listening to a female, a girl whom he had grown rather close to these past three years due to the fact that she had tagged along everywhere his best friend went, like a shadow.

"Did I do something?" she wailed in her relentless voice of hers, her brown eyes puffing up as more tears brimmed around the corners of her eyes.

Is that a rhetorical question? he wondered, running a hand through his short, stubbly black hair, a tight line on his lips.

"I mean," she sniffed loudly, continuing her rant which let the boy beside her breathe out a small sigh of relief. "Sure, I've been a little defensive, but you should see how he looks at her." she spat out, shaking her mop of dirty brown hair around back and forth as if she were trying to erase the image of them together from her mind.

He frowned, which made a crease appear on his forehead. He knew his best friend better than anyone else, they were practically brothers- he might complain sometimes but he would never think twice about cheating, let alone having undisclosed desires for someone else.

"Who?" he asked curiously, his voice quiet as to not startle her in this fragile state.

She scoffed hauntingly, as if something bitter was stuck in her throat. "That brunette girl," she seethed, her hands balled into fists as she pictured them together once more. "She's always around wherever we go."

It was hard to deny, but she sensed that the two of them seemed magnetic in a way, wherever her now ex-boyfriend had gone, the other girl seemed to appear...

"Is she a senior?" he approached carefully, eyeing her with pity in his intense dark brown eyes. Maybe he knew this "brunette girl" and perhaps he could defend her. After all, this entire breakup seemed like one big overreaction. And yet, everyone had seen it coming.

"Yeah, her name is Isabella." she said the name like a curse; it was venom in her mouth.

His eyebrows furrowed together as he rummaged through his brain for any recollection of any acquaintances he knew with that name, but he came up empty... only the dim memory of a fellow friend mentioning the name maybe once or twice a few years before. "Sounds familiar," he mused under his breath.

She blinked as tears shrouded her eyesight, but she was too stubborn to wipe them away with the back of her hand. The very action alone would show her weakness and she was done with being called "needy."

"What exactly did he tell you?" he pried with a tender voice, knowing he would eventually find out both sides of the story.

The girl fidgeted in her seat as she remembered that horrid scene at the curb near the ice cream truck. ____________________________________________________________________________________

"What's with that ridiculous cap?" she commented rashly, her eyes scrutinizing at the red headwear he had on. "You look like a seven year old."