Chapter 24: The Tell Tale Heart

En başından başla

"I'm hoping maybe you have some vacancies down at Sunnyside." Hal starts a new conversation. "You see, I've been sleeping in my office down at the paper, and it's just getting a little chilly at night."
"I bet your office beats the trailer park." FP half chuckles
"I wouldn't be so sure. You see, Alice here, she's been redecorating the Register. The other day, she threw a brick through the window."
"Is that so?" FP laughs
"Keep talking, Hal, and the next brick I throw may not be at a window." Alice sits her wine down. Des looks at her phone.

"Well it really has been a pleasure but I really should get going."
"Why leaving so soon Desiree?" Alice looks up.
"I'm needed down at the trailer park. You understand, we must do this again sometime. Kathleen, walk me out."
"Yes ma'am." I stand following Des out of the house. I grab my coat off of the rack before stepping outside. As soon as the door closes Des whips around to face me.
"What didn't you tell me?"
"I don't know-"
"Don't lie to me Kathleen! What didn't you tell me, what was she looking for in there?"
"Alice thinks FP had something to do with Jason's murder okay. She actually thinks he was Hiram Lodge's little pawn."
"What did you tell her?"
"That she was crazy and hypocritical. That FP had nothing to do with it. Stronger together, right, that's what you always thought me. I will defend all of you until my dying breath. FP had nothing to do with it."
"Why did she invite us here?"
"I'm not positive but the only think I can think is that maybe she sent Hiram's daughter Veronica to FP's to try and find something. I haven't heard from her or Archie all day. In fact, I haven't heard from either of them since I yelled at Veronica about this exact thing."
"The Andrews boy, he was close with Jug right." I nod "Dammit... That means he knows where they hide the key. I gotta go Kat, stay true my dear." she turns to leave
"Des, wait!" I grab her wrist. "I want to come home... I can't keep living here."
"You aren't safe anywhere else."
"He isn't out yet Des, please. I'm going crazy here."
"Give me a few more weeks, please. We can talk then, but I really need to make sure those kids aren't going to plant anything..."
"They wouldn't do that."
"I need to make sure... We can't lose him, I wont be able to hold them back." I nod letting her go. I come back inside to see everyone getting up from the table.

"There you are, everyone is ready to go." Alice smiles.
"Perfect." I return her look before looking around at the eclectic group of people standing in the room. I follow out last, Jughead stops to look at me.
"Are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost." I smile at him trying to bring some color back to my face.
"I'm all good Jug." I stop walking and grab his wrist.
"Are you sure?" He chuckles.
"Listen to me, and listen good Jughead Jones."
"You're scaring me Kat."
"I love you with all my heart."
"Whats going on?" I force a smile
"Just promise me, you will let me explain if anything happens tonight."
"Kat?"
"Its nothing Jug. Lets just enjoy the evening. I just have a bad feeling okay."
"Okay, and I promise..." He kisses my cheek earning a honk from FP.
"Come on love birds you don't want to be late!" He calls. Jughead takes my hand leading me to FP's truck. We all had to squeeze quite close to fit but it worked out in the end.

We all arrive to the dance Betty and I climbing out of the truck first.
"Ladies can I talk to Jug for just a minute." I nod as does Betty.
"Thanks for the ride FP." I give him a small salute heading inside.

Kevin comes rushing over. "There she is, take off the jacket." He is practically jumping up and down. I sigh taking off my jacket putting it on top of the lockers by the door. I give him a small spin as he claps excitedly. "It looks amazing! Totally killer. Pink looks so good on you." He laughs before looping his arm in with mine. "How was dinner and were is Jughead?"
"Dinner was interesting and he is with his dad."
"Not anymore" A hand finds my waist as Jughead speaks.
"Speak of the devil and he shall appear." I giggle. The three of us make our way into the dance. I look around enjoying the lights and decorations.
"You and Betty did an amazing Job." Kevin laughs
"I didn't do anything but the Photo booth which wont be open until a little while later anyway. I was able to call in a few favor from some friends nearby who had tonight off. They are dressed in black taking pictures for me all evening." I smirk.
"Well then, can I have this dance?" Jughead asks leading me out to the floor. I smile putting my arms on his shoulders.
"Hey Kat."
"Yes?"
"After the Dance I want to talk to you about something."
"Okay, is everything alright?"
"Better than alright we just have to figure somethings out, together."
"Wonderful, Jug. I can't wait." I smile seeing Betty cornered by Weatherbee and Mayor McCoy. Suddenly Archie appears.
"Hey Arch." Jughead pulls away to give him a bro hug.
"Hey Jug, Kat. You look stunning."
"Why thank you Archibald." I give me the sickly sweetest smile I could muster. Before I knew it Veronica was there as well.
"Kat, are you in pink?"
"I know its the real shocker of the night isn't it." I chuckle wrapping my arm around Jughead's. He smiles down at me "It was my mother's so I wanted to give it a chance" I shrug when Betty appears. For the first time since coming back to Riverdale I was actually glad Betty was here.