Chapter 51 - Silence

Start from the beginning

 "You okay?" Stiles asked Scott. I turned my head back towards the front.

 "Yeah," said Scott. "Yeah, you don't have to worry about me,"

 "Alright, I'm gonna say it," said Isaac. "You look like you're dying. You're pale and you're thin and you look like you're getting worse. We're all sitting here thinking it, and when we find the other you is he gonna look like he's getting better?"

 I glared at Isaac, but I know it's true. Stiles looks twice as bad as he did this morning. His skin is horribly white and the pink bags under his eyes had gotten larger. Only, I couldn't feel it like I used to. I can't feel pain and death the way I could when I had the darkness inside of me.

 I pulled up the hem of my shirt, no longer seeing the large gash I had hallucinated before. The Nogitsune may no longer need to connect himself to me now that he has what he wants, but I'm still worried about the hold he has on Stiles.

 "What happens if he gets hurt?" I asked.

 "What do you mean? Like if he dies, then do I die?" Stiles asked. He shook his head. "I don't care. So long as no one else dies cause of me,"

 It felt like a knife through my chest listening to Stiles talk that way. He may not care if he dies, but I do. I care a hell of a lot. I have lot too many people I was close with, people I loved. I just can't bear the thought of adding Stiles to that list, no matter what he's done.

 "I remember everything I did, Emma," he said. "I remember shoving my hand into your chest. I remember tightening my fingers around your heart as I held your life in my hands,"

 "It wasn't you," I said, swallowing the lump in my throat.

 "But I remember it," he said.

 I looked down and squeezed my eyes shut. That's not fair to him, that he has to remember the things he had no control of. Me, I deserve to remember killing Brittany. I did that. Me. But the person who shoved their arm into my chest and threatened to rip my heart out was not Stiles. I just wish he could understand that.

 "You guys gotta promise me," said Stiles. "You can't let anyone else get hurt because of me,"

 I felt something coil around my hand, and when I opened my eyes I realized that it was Isaac. He gave me a weak smile, one which I did my best to return. Scott turned to look at the two of us from the passenger seat. I nodded at him, letting him know that I was okay. Besides, I'm not the problem here. My emotions don't matter because what's important is saving Lydia and getting rid of the Nogitsune. That's what we came to do.

 We pulled up to the back gates of Oak Creek just as Eric got out of my car with Kira and Allison in tow. Allison had her crossbow, and Kira her katana sword. The four of us hurried out the of the jeep to meet with them.

 There was an eerie fog in the air, sitting low to the ground. It wasn't very thick, but it was enough to make this place look like something out of a horror movie. Eric came to stand by my side, giving my arm a brief squeeze.

 "We've done this before, guys," said Scott. "A couple of weeks ago we were standing around just like this, and we saved Malia, remember?"

 We all nodded.

 "That was a total stranger," continued Scott. "This is Lydia,"

 "I'm here to save my best friend," stated Allison.

 "I came to save mine," said Scott, looking at Stiles. Personally, I'm here to save them both. That's all I've ever really wanted, to be able to save someone.

 "I just didn't feel like doing homework," said Isaac.

 Eric and I glanced at each other, but everyone else seemed to shake it off, so we did too. We followed the rest of the pack through the vine laced gates, but separated once inside. He gave me an encouraging nod, following Isaac, Allison, and Kira as I ran off with Scott and Stiles.