YOU'VE GOT SOME MAIL!

💌

───────────────

09, Taiyoukou Street,
Provice of Ikebukuro,
Tokyo,
10th of September 2018

Dear Hyunjin,
                        I am writing to you, most probably not for you to read this letter, but simply to enumerate all the rational and sometimes irrational reasons that you give me to fall for you, deeper and even deeper every single day.

                        Goodness, how I could feel butterflies ─ millions of them ─ churn antsily in my stomach as your gaze often landed on me. You stared nervously at my face first, then at my hands, as they moved along my copybook, forming words that you tended to stare at in wonder. When our eyes met, you would freeze, impeached like a child who had been caught nicking candies, but your gaze would soon soften and you flashed a radiant smile, one that could blind me even light-years away. "I am sorry, I don't fully grasp the typography of the Japanese language yet. Is it okay to count on you to help me with it?" Those were your very first words to me.

                        I was five years old when I first heard of the word ikigai ─ what gives you a reason to wake up every morning. To my mother, needlework was her ikigai, her reason of living, her escapism and more than anything, her first and last love. Who knew that with time, passing on to you the knowledge that my respected elders inculcated in me at a very young age would become a daily routine? Who knew that you could hold the glow of all the stars in the Milky Way in your two shiny eyes, that your laughter could sound like an enchanting melody to my ears, that your anecdotes could be funny to the point of making me crack up into a fit of strangled giggles in the middle of any lesson? Who knew that you would eventually become my ikigai?

                        On coming back to school after the lengthy weekend we had, I saw you place on your desk a story book entitled Yugen. You were bemused, once again, and timidly asked for my help, a pale tint of pink across your porcelain cheeks. I voluntarily explained, articulating each of my words with utmost care, making sure you had understood the meaning of the word Yugen ─ a profound sense of the universe which triggers emotional responses inexplicably deep and too mysterious for words. Not to be dramatic, that was exactly how I felt when my eyes locked with yours for the first time.

                        I felt at that very moment that something had sparked in me, in us, and that the koi no yokan ─ the 'premonition of love' was not a simple legend made up by the delusional. My determination to water, light and nurture the bud that is our love, is as intense as the gargantuan fire that rose from the spark that brought about my feelings for you, and eventually, the two of us will bloom like the sakura ─ the cherry blossoms ─ in spring.

Sincerely yours,
Haru

P.S. I would have confessed, but why would I write it down on an insignificant piece of paper I have no intention of sending you? When it feels like the right time, I won't miss to tell you, in person, that I love you.

──────────────