Mackenzie

I was sitting in the starbucks just staring into space, thinking about the question.

"In two years I know, I'll be twice as old as five years ago, how old am I?"

I don't know if I'm just stupid or if this is just really hard. Either way, I don't get it. And the following questions aren't any easier. I checked the time on my phone, 7:12am. I sighed and got up then walked out to my car. Once I was seated I started it up and drove to school.

I parked away from the school and down the street like always. The times I parked in the parking lot my car was spray painted. I pulled my hood over my head and shoved my hands in the pockets of it. I kept my head down trying not to draw attention to myself and it actually worked. I got to the gym part of the school without being noticed and was able to slip in the doors too. It's 7:29, kids are here, my phone is still silently blowing up with texts from Lauren, Johnny, Annie and Brynn. I walked swiftly past the few groups of kids standing in the hallway talking. I almost made it to class but I was pushed into the wall and held there. "Hello Mackfatty," I heard someone say, Sophia Rose Turino. I know that voice anywhere. I was being held against the wall with my face pressed against it so I couldn't see her. There were at least three of them. "Funny how you're showing your ugly face here at school after Hayden. He finally realized what an ugly pig you are and got with a real girl." they all laughed and I knew it was more than three. "Can you just leave me alone?" I asked and I was spun around and slapped. Standing there in all their glory was Sophia Rose, Nadia Turner, Ruby Rose Turner, Maisy Stella, and Dylan Conrique. The person holding me was Caden Conrique, Dylan's brother. "No one likes you. Why do you still come to school? If you would just kill yourself everyone would be happy." Nadia spat and her words didn't really do anything different. I get that all the time, it's nothing special. I just rolled my eyes and Dylan grabbed my jaw, "Don't be disrespectful Ziegler. Caden, you know what to do." he laughed before letting me go and punching me in the gut, causing me to double over in the pain that spread through my abdomen. I was shoved to the ground and used as a kickboxing bag. I tried to kick one of them in self defense but it didn't connect. I was kicked over and over by them all and I just curled up in a ball and covered my head and face. They shouted insults the whole time, worthless, slut, fat, whore, ugly, useless. I waited for the beating to stop and when it did I uncovered my head only to be punched in the face by a crouching figure. They all laughed and walked away after their usual spitting. One I knew the coast was clear I tried to get up but failed, pain was radiating from so many different places. The bell rang and I just groaned and leaned against the wall as kids walked past me, laughing and pointing at me. A few minutes later I heard someone running and when I opened my eyes there was a boy kneeling in front of me. I didn't recognize him and he was looking at me worriedly. "Thank god. I thought you were dead!" he said and I laughed weakly. He was really attractive, dirty blonde hair and a handsome face. "What happened to you?" he asked. "I don't wanna talk about it," I muttered and he nodded. "Well let me help you up." he put his arms around me and lifted me very easily. Pain shot through my body and I stifled a scream. When he put me down he still had his arms wrapped around my waist and we were standing pretty close to each other. We both blushed when we realized and he removed his arms. "I'm Conner, Conner Finnerty." he said with a grin and held out his hand. I took it and smiled, "Mackenzie Ziegler."

"Well nice to mean you Mackenzie." "You're new here right? I haven't seen you around before." I asked and he smiled wider. "Yeah. I just moved here from California." I raised my eyebrows. "Wow. That's far." he nodded. "Can you help me find my class? And I'll help you get to yours?" I laughed and nodded. He handed me his schedule and I took a look. "Hey we have all the same classes!" I exclaimed and he smiled. "Cool!"

I told him which room it was and he put an arm around my waist to help me when we started walking.

When we walked into class Conner sat next to me where Hayden used to sit and Annie gave me a worried look. When the teacher finished telling us the assignment Annie leaned over to me. "Why have you been avoiding us in the mornings these past couple days. Who the hell is that?" I glanced to see if the teacher was looking then leaned towards her. "No reason, and his name is Conner. He's new." Annie gave me a devilish grin and I just rolled my eyes and turned back to my desk to work on the assignment.

Johnny

I waited outside of her classroom for her to get out. I checked my phone 8:59, I got ready and a few seconds later the bell rang. Kids flooded out and she was one of the last ones. Her, Brynn, and Annie all walked out and next to Mackenzie was a boy I didn't recognize. They were talking about something and laughing. Jealousy crept into my emotions but I tried to ignore it. Why the hell am I jealous? I swallowed and before she could get any farther, I grabbed her arm. Jesus Christ she's really skinny. She turned to me and so did the boy. "Can we talk?" I asked and she stared at me for a second. "Is this your boyfriend?" The boy asked, and when I looked down I saw that his arm was around her waist. I clenched my jaw to try and calm myself down. "No, he's just someone I know." Ouch, that hurts. Not even friends? "Do you want to go with him?" he asked and she hesitated to answer. "n-nyeah." "You don't seem too sure," he said and she turned around to face him. "It's OK Conner, I know him. I'll see you later." she kissed his cheek and gave him a smile. He smiled back, kissed her forehead and walked away. She watched him turn the corner before facing me and when she did she looked a little uneasy, probably because my face was twisted into an angry look and my teeth were clenched. "Are you alright?" she asked and I nodded before saying, "Let's go," then grabbing her hand and walking out of the school.