"A love potion? For me? You are so sweet Catarina." She thought nothing of it. But adored the woman for thinking of her.

"Child, what is in the bottle is no joke, there are eight sprays, do not waste them. Ah here." She handed her another one, "This one takes it away, if you find you have made a mistake. Don't make mistakes with it Andie, be selective."

"Can I spray it on myself?"

"I suppose if you want to be glued to a mirror all day admiring yourself. It is not a joke my dear, it's the real thing and here is how it works. You spray the man you desire once, no more than once. A quick shot anywhere he will catch its scent, then wait. The first person he looks upon will own his heart. Do not spray unless you intend to invite the madness of the love that will follow. I have been making this potion for many years, it has never failed. Be sure to have the other one ready if you have a misfire. But do be careful with it."

"You're the sweetest woman I have ever known, but I am fine, really I am.I don't mind being alone." She lied to her and to herself. She wanted a man, a loyal man in her life, one that would not abandon her or humiliate her. 

"I suppose I could give it a try," she said.

"When you find a suitable man, remember this will invite all that mad love has to offer, be certain it is what you want before using it." 

"I'm going my dear."She pursed her lips together and asked if her lipstick was smudged. "Of course you can't tell me can you, can you even see?"

"I can see." She stared at her closely. "Its fine, looking good, Catarina." Her thumbs up.

"You know I can help you with those eyes, come here, close your eyes. I think it's time you put those romance repellent glasses away for good. Come," she said.

"I'm afraid. What are you going to do? Is this going to hurt?"

"Shhhh, come here, do you trust me?"

"I do, but still, my eyes."

"Shhh, be still. Give me your hands." She held her hands out, trusting her. She felt her slide an envelope into them.

"What is this?"

"It is payment for all you do for me. More than ample to go have your eyes looked at. Find a fitting pair of glasses, even better, some contacts. It is time my dear."

"Catarina, you had me thinking I was in for some of your mojo." She smiled to her

"And you trusted me dear girl, trust me now when I tell you it is time to stop hiding behind that wall of glass."

"Thanks Cat, I will take your advice, but you need not pay me, this is not necessary. I adore you and only want to help, taking this isn't right." 

"No, it is right child. I have more money than I can ever spend, and no one to share it with other than Mazy. So why not a little for you? Please take it and do as I ask. When I return home I expect to see your eyes front and center, do you understand? And let that hair down, it's a gift from nature for you. You should not hide from the world."

'I will! I promise when you get back, I will have new glasses, and my hair will be free," she said as she was hugging the old woman. "I will miss you."

She kissed her cheek. "See you in a few weeks." Cat told her.

She closed the door and held the envelope in one hand and the potions in the other. She slid the potions into her purse and fetched her glasses. She opened the envelope and counted the stack of hundred dollar bills. Geez she thought to herself there must be thousands of dollars here. Is she going nuts? I cannot take this. I will do as she asked but no way am I keeping this money. Where to hide it? She began to look around her apartment to find a safe place. She stuffed the money behind an old book. A Stephen King novel.

She rushed through her errands and showered. "Hey maybe," she said. But there was no one she would spray. Maybe Davis would let me try it out on him. What's the harm, especially since he is gay.

Davis was her best friend and the reason she moved to New Haven. He was the only man who ever treated her well. In her Twenty seven years, she had no man other than him that she trusted.

"Come to see me," she said. Calling him from her cell. "Come to the café later, its dead by midnight. Please, come in. I am bored to tears, and it is always creepy in there. Billy is staying with me, you know how he is, he wanders off into the back and it is just me and the stragglers. So come on, please I have a surprise," she said to him.

"I have to work in the morning sissy. But ok, you know I am a sucker for surprises! Can we close it up early though if it's slow?"

"I suppose I can escape early." Knowing she had just inherited a small fortune from Catarina. Though she wasn't going to use it for herself, only for her eyes. It did give her a sense of security to know she had it.

It was ten to midnight, the café was nearly empty, there was a young man slumped over in a texting frenzy at a table in the far corner, a few of the regulars talking at the bar. It had just stormed, not much going on, the weather was bad.

"Can you cut out now?" Davis asked. "Can we go?" He asked again impatiently. His contact blue eyes showing his boredom.

"I came dressed for the surprise," he said. As he looked around, implying he was going to meet a tall dark handsome man, but there was none.

"Let me ask Billy if we can go." She went to find Billy and quickly came back fast and furious. "Were good to go! Billy said he would close up. Let me get my stuff." She grabbed her bag, felt inside for her keys first then her mace, "Ahh there you are." She always kept her hand in her bag for the walk home, just in case and the little can of mace was her companion.

As they walked towards her building, they heard the stray sounds of voices from corners where they could not see, a few sirens off in the distance and rumbles of thunder from the west.

"I hope we don't get caught in that Sissy," Davis said. Lightning flashed and again a rumble of thunder.

"Oh as long as I know how to love I know I'll stay will stay alive. I got all my life to live I got all my love to give I'll survive. I will survive, Hey Hey!!" He sang as they walked.

"Let's race," she said, smiling and cutting him off from his song.

"No running, these boots are made for walking. And girl with your two left feet you bound to take a nose dive into the first puddle you step into. No running."

"No fun!" As she said those words a man stepped out from the alley ahead of them.

''Oh shit,'' said Davis.

Psst! Please don't forget to vote!!