Chapter Twentyseven

Start from the beginning

Emily lived a couple of streets down, and I thought I could get a head start and began to jog at a leveled pace. I'm not very athletic, but I'm not a huge couch potato either. As I jogged, I thought to myself that maybe I shouldn't go to Harry's, especially since it's far on foot. I could use Emily's phone to call him, and make plans with him tonight.

All I know is I can't wait until I'm eighteen. I'll be finishing high school and getting out of the house. I don't know what I'm going to do about college. I have no clue what it is I want to study, anyway. I know it's definitely not medicine like my mother wants. I'm lost as of now. I'm not rich and I can't live on one fortune my entire life. Surely, Harry can. 

I could see Emily's house from here now. Breathing in deeply, I slowed into a quick walk and knocked on her door and rang the doorbell once on her porch. In thirty seconds the door swung open, revealing Emily in her tigh, fitted jogging pants and a pink tank top. She smiled widely, bringing me into a hug. 

"Have to ask what's been happening lately. I've heard rumors around town and I guess your parents found out about everything?" Emily asked as we pulled away, looking at me. She glanced behind her, quickly informing me that her mother isn't home. 

There wasn't much to hide from Emily. She's the only person I told everything to, including my history with Derek. Only her friendship is assuring enough and it feels like my secrets are safe with her. "Yeah, but I'll tell you about it while we start jogging." 

"Alright," she replied, shutting the door behind her as I moved out of her way. 

We began to jog and a steady pace. Emily can keep up pretty well, which shows she's not really out of shape. But she's an idiot to believe so. I know she won't get out of her funk until she loses a couple of pounds. I wouldn't mind helping her anyway, I could lose a little thigh. 

"So, tell me what happened." 

It took about five minutes to explain to her everything. I included Renee as the main contributor to this mess, and also about Derek coming back. Her face paled the second I told her, and she gulped down her stress for me once I said I'd take care of it. I'm telling her about what my father said when she says, "Wait...how are you out right now?" 

"When I called you, you were on speaker phone so I could prove I wasn't lying," I explained to her.

She gasped, turning her head to look at me in horror. "Oh my god! What if I picked up the phone and was like hey bitch?!" 

"You didn't," I laughed, "That's all that matters." I inhaled deeply, continuing with the steady pace. "Plus, we're all going out tonight." I'm sure I'm not repeating the same mistakes I've made. There's no way I'm leaving my friends behind if that's what my parents were thinking. They can control my cell phone, my outfits, and my every move at home. But their mistake was giving me a taste of freedom before this whole thing blew out of proportion. 

Emily huffed at me. "Did you not just get your ass grounded because of sneaking out at night?" 

I shrugged my shoulders. "Yeah...but it's not like I'm going to do the same thing that happened with Derek. That's all I'm regretful for. What she said was true, though. I'm misbehaving and being rebellious and all that good stuff."