Chapter 3

That night hadn't been as peaceful as I had hoped. One reason was that the priestesses throughout the temple and house were easily heard while bedding men "for the glory of the Mother Goddess". Another reason was Helion's incessant drumming of his knuckles and tapping of his fingers on his work desk as he stayed up reviewing what seemed to be a patrol report. The most I had learned of him in the past hours together was that he had been a general for one of the High Lords in the Guinna territory.

    It was well past midnight when the candles on his desk and lamps hanging from the wall were blown out. I thanked the gods he was a quiet sleeper, but silently cursed Helion for keeping me awake when I so desperately needed rest. It was safe to say I slept fitfully that night.

    We were awoken at dawn by a servant— a pretty female who Helion insisted on flirting with— telling us that we were responsible for our own breakfast today. Helion had merely flashed her a grin that both melted and repelled me, then stalked over to his oak armoire against the wall opposite the beds.

    "You heard the lass," Helion said, opening the doors and combing through whatever clothes had been stocked for him. He frowned at a muddy brown tunic, opting for a sheer white one. "Well, get up! If we want to have a decent breakfast, we must get there first." He pulled the tunic over his head, sliding it on with some effort. It was a bit tight, but I didn't mind.

    He turned to me and I averted my eyes, instead rising from my bed and going to my own armoire. It had five tunics and four pairs of pants, along with two sets of what looked to be day slippers and boots. I selected a deep green tunic, then turned to Helion, growling low. "Turn away or get out."

    Helion smirked and just leaned against the wall, looking me up and down. "I've seen every inch of the female body. And from what I can tell, yours in quite enjoyable."

    Heat flamed in my cheeks and I pointed a threatening finger at him. "Around or out."

    With a relenting sigh Helion turned to face away, hands braced on his hips as he waiting impatiently. I took my time pulling on the tight cream leggings, then slid my feet into a pair of deep brown boots. If I was going to spend the rest of my life groveling to the gods, I was going to do it in style.

    When I was finished, Helion turned and winked, his deep sapphire eyes entrancing. I hissed and breezed past him, swinging the door open and turning right toward the kitchens. Luckily for Helion and me, we were the closest to that beautiful place.

    I reached the kitchens before Helion, though he was close behind, and instinctively went to a row of cabinets, throwing the doors open to expose breads and dried meats and berries. Ravenous wasn't even a word compared to the hunger that courses throughout my entire being. I grabbed a loaf, dried bacon, and a handful of what looked to be raspberries. Helion had already found and set out two plates on a cutting table, claiming a seat on the end closest to what looked to be and icebox.

    Gods above the wealth of theses people.

    "Bring over some more of that," Helion said around a mouthful of bread I handed to him. He looked as starving as I was. I gave him a had look, daring him to touch my servings, then obliged, our heads snapping to the doors as Thedis stepped in the doorway. He smelled like mist and grass, as if he had been outdoors for a few hours. My brother didn't seem to care about our warning stares as he sat beside me, popping a berry into his mouth.

    "Where's Rhache?" I ripped off a piece of bacon with my teeth, savoring the smoky flavor. Thedis glanced to the door.

    "She isn't awake yet. I left the room a few hours before sunup. Had to clear my mind." He took a slice of bacon and ate for a few seconds. "I'm leaving. I can't stay any longer or it would be a blood bath when I'm forced to leave. She understands. I just hope Ry'uk doesn't try anything with her."

The GiftOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara