Safe

Signe looked around at the treasures that filled up almost every space in the cave, most of them being art that seemed strangely familiar to her.

"Wait..." Signe murmured as she expected on of the pictures closer.

It was a sketch of herself lying next to a broken bottle, the art still mostly intact despite its age.

"I remember putting this in a bottle and sending it to sea when I was younger, hoping that whoever found it would find me. Maybe someone will one day." Signe sighed wistfully as she set the picture aside.

She was startled from her thoughts when a familiar fish poked its head out of the water to look at her.

"Hey Sam." Signe smiled as she laid down on her stomach, her fingers dangling over the mouth of the cave and into the warm water.

Sam nudged his head against her fingers before disappearing under the surface, his green scales glittering in the emerging rays of sun.

"Signe! Signe, where are you?!"

Signe abruptly sat up and peeked out of the cave, surprised to see her closest friend Amy, the Queen of Amare, and Mark, the King of Amare in a boat searching for her.

"I gotta go Sam, tell Jack thanks for everything." Signe told the fish before she dove into the water and started swimming for the boat.

"Hey!" Signe cried out as Sam bit down on her dress and attempted to pull her back to the cave.

"I found her!" Amy shouted in relief, pointing at Signe as the boat began to spur towards her.

Sam abruptly let go and darted off, leaving Signe alone as she saw up to the boat and allowed Mark to lift her up inside.

"There you are, thank god you're okay!" Amy exclaimed as she pulled Signe into a hug.

"I'm fine, but where's Robin?" Signe replied worriedly.

"He's back at our castle recuperating, he's alive and well." Mark hastily assured her.

Signe nodded as she sat down, glad to be going back home.

"How did you survive?" Amy asked her as she sat down by the drenched royal.

"There was this merman with a green tail and sparkling blue eyes that brought me to a cave, he saved my life." Signe explained, earning skeptic expressive from the other two royals.

"We have not had mermen or mermaids in our seas for centuries Signe." Mark reminded her gently.

"He was real though!" Signe argued.

"You must've been in shock and thought that he had a tail." Amy countered gently, not wanting to upset her.

"He really was a merman." Signe muttered under her breath as she realized that she would not win the conversation.

"We're almost back at land." Mark announced as he stared disdainfully at the sea, seeming glad to be back on solid ground.

"You're welcome to stay for dinner at our castle if you'd like." Mark invited, earning a nod of agreement from Amy.

"You can tell me all about this merman you're so certain you saw afterwards." Amy added teasingly, earning a scowl from Signe as she bit her tongue to hold back more arguments.

Once the boat was docked, Amy and Mark left while Signe hesitated a moment to look back at the sea.

"Thank you Jack." Signe whispered before she followed her friends to their castle, hoping that she could repay the favor for him someday.