[new]PROLOGUE

AUGUST 26TH 2014

the car journey was quiet, knowing y/n was leaving had taken a toll on everyone, y/n's mom was travelling in the passenger seat, then all being driven by colbys mom. sam sat on her left and colby on the right, the two both holding her hands, sam had been y/n's best friend since early childhood, she hoped to got that she wouldn't lose him, they had become friends with colby a while ago. despite only being close for a year he was her favourite person, he understood her better than anyone, the two of them had such a close connection, in her mind, he was her twin flame.

all y/n could feel was dread, dreading the moment which they would be arriving at the airport, her heart wrenched at the thought. all she wanted was these guys in her life forever.

;

the moment she had been putting off for weeks had arrived, she sat in the middle seat of the car spaced out until she heard her mom call for her, a tone of concern in her voice. "y/n, sweetie it's time to go"

she stepped foot out of the car, putting her carry on over her shoulder and shutting the car door. this was the last place she wanted to be.

looking at colby all y/n could think about was the first time they met, sam had met him in band and introduced them when he came to hang out with sam at lunch, he was stood with sam at his locker, where she and sam would meet every day. she could remember the excited tone of sams voice knowing they had another friend, they had been eachothers number one person for the longest time.

"hey y/n this is colby, he's in band with me"
she immediately noticed his faded yellow hoodie and his swooped over hair, his jeans were faded black and his feet were clad in a pair of beaten up vans. a hint of smudged eyeliner over his waterline the gather of bracelet's on his wrists made her silently question the out of place hoodie.

he noticed y/n's silent analysis of his outfit and the slight contortion on her face.

"it was uh laundry day" he said with a chuckle.

she giggled at his awkward demeanour "it's okay, you kinda remind me of a lemon" she said in an attempt help him feel more comfortable. from then on the three of them hung out every lunch, he slowly became a part of y/n, she wasnt herself without him. sleepovers every weekend at her house with both sam and colby, walking each other home after school, the three of them stuck together always. lemon boy became a running joke, for his birthday she gifted him a fabric wristband, it was white with lemons printed on it (yknow like the ones you get a festivals, yeah that one). she had given to him in a small yellow gift bag, he hadn't taken it off from the day he got it.

they all hung out in the airport for a while, enjoying their last few moments in the same place, not knowing when y/n would next see the boys. they had all stropped through the photos our moms had begged to take, awkwardly standing by some chairs to stand and smile despite the juxtaposing vibe to the situation.

in the last few minutes that everybody shares those obligatory hugs that you're supposed to do, complete silence overcame all of them, no one wanting to address the sadness they all felt. despite the quiet, everything that needed to be said between them all had been silently sent between eachother. colbys arms wrapped around y/n, staying there for a minute or so, she felt as though her throat was closing up. upon breaking apart he wiggled his wristband off his wrist and slipped it on y/n's slightly smaller wrist, tightening it to ensure it won't fall off.

"colby" she began saying but he cut her off

"it's okay, you keep it, so you dont forget me"

"gross you must loveeee me or something" she said teasing, "shut it sunshine" he said pulling her in for another hug, enjoying the slight moment in which there was a lighter feel in the air.

"sunshine?" she questioned, still in his arms, a sense of sarcasm in her tone, "sticking with the yellow theme, i cant be the only one with a stupid nickname"

"whatever you say colbs"

embracing both boys in one last hug she whispered "i love you guys", it wasn't something she said often, it meant a lot to them. y/n kept yourself behind this cover, protecting herself from getting hurt not showing affection often, so at a time like this all they could feel in response was pain, a deep set pain knowing what was coming.

leaving was the hardest thing y/n has ever had to do, walking away from the people she called her home. putting on the brave face was hard to do in these situations, but that's just how she was. vulnerability was hard, but she wanted nothing more than to show them how much she truly was going to miss them, walking away from her best friend and her lemon boy was never meant to be easy, but surely it wasn't meant to be this hard?

"see you later lemon boy"

"same goes sunshine"

HI OMG FIRST NEW PART WOO! chapter one will be out in the next couple days (it's already written 🫣) - mads <3