Chapter Thirteen: The Proposal

The next day Cora and Benjamin had breakfast together as normal. They acted as though nothing had happened but they both could feel the awkward tension in the air. The truth may now be out, but nothing has changed. Lies were told, and they both were deceived. There was no denying that they both had their reasons to feel both guilt and anger towards the other.

Just as they were finishing their meals an officer knocked at the doors of the mansion. Cora happily told him the story she had shared with Thomas the night before. Left on the desk of the parlor was the report Thomas wrote for the officer.

At first the officer was in disbelief, but after reading Dr. Olivier's note and looking at Cora's wrists quite thoroughly. He simply shook his head and left. The officer thanked Benjamin on his was out for his time and left to give his report to the judge deciding Matthieu's fate.

Cora remained in the parlor. She sat on the couch and looked out the window at the gentle rain slowly gliding down the glass. Something so delicate and substantial for the basic survival of life could also be so incredibly dangerous and cause damage just as easily. Water never thought about the outcome of its actions. It acted purely on instinct and did what its basic urges made it do. They made Cora's sins feel so mediocre and insignificant. Yet that feeling couldn't shake her guilt.

"Did it rain this much where you came from?" Benjamin asked.

Cora turned around quickly in her seat, she hasn't heard Benjamin standing in the door and it startled her.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to scare you," Benjamin said as he entered the room closing the door behind him. "I suppose now is as good a time as any to discuss the wedding." He let the silence settle after the words left his lips.

"Not yet," Cora said as she regained her composure. "I think there are some things we need to discuss first. I may not feel for you as I do Thomas, but I have grown to feel an attachment to you and I care. If we're going to make this work, we need to be honest with each other." She looked deep into Benjamin's eyes. "And seeing as Thomas and I could ruin your good name, having an outside opinion could help our secrecy."

They both laughed quietly to themselves. "I understand but-"

Cora interrupted him, "Just before I entered last night, I heard you tell Thomas you were in love once. I want to know what happened."

Benjamin looked uncomfortable with the subject. "Is that really relevant?"

"Do you still love this person?" Cora asked, her voice lower than usual, yet somehow comforting.

"Well... yes but," Benjamin tried to protest but Cora gave him a look that made him know there was no arguing with her. "I can't change the past Cora, or who I am."

"I am promised to you in the eyes of God and I've been seeing not only another man, but one that works for you. I'm not one to judge sins Benjamin," Her tone was forceful, but sympathetic.

"I have as well my dear," Cora looked at Benjamin confused. She didn't understand what he meant, and he could tell. "I have also," he paused and looked down at his hands folded in his lap. "Been with a man." He squeezed his hands together to brace for what may come next.

"So, you're two-spirited." Now Benjamin was the confused one, Cora didn't ask she simply stated something that he didn't understand. "Sorry," she continued. "It is certainly a topic that is conflicted in the Metis community. Two-spirited is a belief that a person's body contains two spirits. Often, one is female and the other is male. This can cause sexual confusion because they may be attracted to the same sex as one of their spirits does not match the sex of their body and the other spirit. But in Catholicism this is a sin and there are no recordings of a body sharing two souls. Not that I know of at least."

Cora smiled at Benjamin, "I'd be lying if I said I never fell asleep during church. I'm pretty sure that there is a sin. Our priest got pretty sick of that being my confession so often." They both began to laugh.

"So, you're not going to report me to the police?" Benjamin asked. "Even though you'd be free of our engagement and could be with Thomas."

"Love is an act to inspire good things, I would never start that act by harming someone who has done nothing wrong." Cora put a hand on Benjamin's arm. "After the last few days, I don't consider what you did kidnapping anymore." She stood up and straightened out her dress then her posture. "Now, I believe we have a wedding to plan."

Cora reached her hand out to Benjamin as if she were a male suiter inviting a young lady to follow. Benjamin laughed and delicately took her hand just as a lady would.