14

Monday, February 12th,2018

amelia, saoirse, and violetta stood in the lunch line behind ansel and timothee. the three girls talked away about the new kid who just transferred. none of them knew his name yet, but they could all agree that he was good looking. really good looking.

a few feet ahead, ansel and timothee chatted about valentine's day. as expected, ansel was going to take violetta out to eat at a diner where they had their first date. amelia smiled when she overheard this, already feeling excited for violetta.

least expectedly however, when ansel asked timothee was his plans were, he began to talk about saoirse. he mentioned something about going to a really nice restaurant, but amelia completely zoned out after that. her mind was racing.

saoirse? why her? since when? why not lia, his best friend? how could he break his promise to her?

amelia felt her stomach clench whenever she thought about the promise.

in 5th grade, everyone around amelia and timothee had a boyfriend or girlfriend. valentine's day at school was all about spoiling your partner although none of it was actual love, just kid stuff. timothee complained about it to his mom. he went on and on about how no girls want to talk to him and he'll never go on a date like they do. amelia did the same too; she worried that people thought she was ugly and not worth the time. so, timothee's mom put it into his head that he should, every year, take amelia on a date on valentine's day. she was his best friend and she deserved to be spoiled. she deserved to know how she should be treated and respected and timothee, although young, was perfect for that.

every year since then, they always go to any restaurant they want and talk about everything. their favorite thing though is to imagine what the other couples are like. they always have fun wondering who's a sugar daddy around them.

suddenly, she snapped out of thought when saoirse gently pushed her ahead and commented about how weird amelia is.

soon, everyone was at their usual lunch table, sitting together and talking. the whole group was laughing about something, but amelia couldn't focus.

timothee and saoirse were sitting so close together. how could she have missed this? she's so hung up on timothee that she couldn't see him with another girl even if it was in front of her eyes. sure, he's her best friend, but clearly there's something more.

and it seemed like he would agree with that up until now. lia watched the pair flirt with each other. flirt! gross. timothee looked at saoirse in such a way that made amelia's stomach sink even more. to make matters worse, saoirse grabbed his arm constantly. lia's stomach twisted. she averted her attention to her food: a questionable hamburger. she felt her tongue dry up in her mouth. she looked up at them one more time before making a face. she did not feel good. she could just puke right then and there.

timothee cupped her cheek and that was it for amelia, her stomach clenched and she ran to the bathroom, not even announcing her departure.

she kicked the bathroom stall open and cursed under her breath before puking. she did this a lot actually. she puked out of nerves several times like before big tests and even before her The Little Mermaid audition because she was worried she wouldn't impress timothee.

she wiped the tears from the corner of her eyes before standing up. she leaned against the bathroom wall with her eyebrows furrowed. she was trying her hardest not to cry.

out of all the men in the world, she's crying over timothee. timothee. the boy who's never let her down. who can make her smile just by existing. who's smile can probably cure cancer.