"I don't know," I responded quietly, not realizing just how rough my voice was from not using it. My days used to be filled with conversation with Bobby, day and night. But now I had no one to talk to.

"Any idea where he might have gone?"

I looked at her, trying to decipher her interest in the situation.

She noticed my scrutiny and said, "I'm not looking for a scoop, I promise. Everyone's just worried. I'm sure you are too."

She was absolutely correct, but I didn't express that. I stayed silent, choosing to stare down at my uneaten food instead.

Pretty soon I felt a hand on mine. I looked up at Emma's worried face.

She whispered, "I'll help you find him."

She seemed like my fairy godmother in that moment: a savior during my time of turmoil, a way to solve my problems and get what I wish.

But I shook my head.

It was obvious he didn't want to talk, otherwise, he would have come back. He needed time. If I had to suffer to give it to him, so be it.

"Not yet," I whispered back.

*****

I had come home that day, ready to go collapse on my bed again. I didn't feel like doing anything anymore; I was just too worried.

I had walked through my front door, and saw my mom, sitting on the couch.

And Murphy, who stood as soon as he saw me.

His surprises were getting old.

I had an overwhelming urge to yell at him, to scream at the top of my lungs, Why? Why are you here? Why do you insist on making this worse?

He spoke first, though, "Hey, Caleb."

He paused right before saying my name, as though he didn't know if it would be safe, for him or me.

I refrained from yelling at him and simply said, "Hi."

My mom quickly stood up; she probably felt the electricity I was giving off with my glare.

"I'll just leave you two to it."

She practically ran to her room, leaving me alone with the last person I wanted to talk to. She knew this, too. I had told her everything about Homecoming night, including Murphy's dumb decision to kiss me. And yet, she still let him in the house.

It only begged the question: what did he tell her?

"What do you want?" I asked, the electricity now making its way to my voice instead of my eyes.

"You haven't been answering my calls."

"There's a reason for that Murphy," I snapped, "And it's pretty fucking obvious."

"Look, I know what I did wasn't called for, but--"

"No. No, it wasn't. It was completely unnecessary. And it seems like everyone is paying for it but you."

His face scrunched up, almost in disgust. "What do you mean by that?"

"Have you seen Bobby anywhere since Homecoming?"

He looked down, understanding.

"Now that you see just how much this hurts," I continue, "What the fuck makes you think that waltzing into my house was something you needed to do?"