Ch. 7 / The not so calm before the storm

"Jack, this is Drew. Strange, but I know for a fact he's actually pretty damn interesting and smart." Ben smiled over at Drew who had a very excited expression on his face. "I absolutely love your work." Drew laughed nervously as he reached over to shake Jack's hand. "Me and (y/n) were actually talking about you earlier today when we all went to the country music hall of fame." Drew added as he retracted his hand and looked over at you. "Oh, is that so?" Jack had a very subtle yet noticeable smile on his face then soon looked over at you and chuckled. Shane nudged your arm and leaned into your ear, "So you know this guy? I didn't know he was a musician, what the fuck kinda pale dracula lookin' ass like him plays an instrument or even sings? He should stay indoors and focus on not getting burned by the sun instead of performing." He whispered and you let out a muffled laugh which seemed to have gotten Jack to look at you with an intense look in his eyes.

"And you are?" Jack raised his head and looked directly at Shane. The moment Jack asked that, Shane's face went red and you couldn't tell if he was embarrassed or angry. "Shane. So tell us about what you do, i'm not familiar with your music but you seem cool I guess." Shane narrowed his eyes at Jack and wrapped an arm around you. "Ah, that makes sense." Jack retorted and eyed Shane up and down slowly which got a laugh from Ben. "Uhh, Shane. Jack plays multiple instruments and sings solo as well as in multiple bands but he's usually well known for being part of The White Stripes." You mumbled over at Shane to avoid any sort of weird confrontation between the two after noticing some tension in the air. "The white what?" Shane chuckled while making eye contact with Jack. "Ugh, you know!" You lightly hit his arm with yours and began humming the tune to Seven Nation Army. "Oh! That one overplayed song at sporting events?" Shane's eyes widened dramatically and grinned sarcastically at Jack and at you. You began to internally panic and looked over at Ben with a nervous look on your face, he seemed to have understood what was happening and soon interrupted, "Anyway, Jack this is Beth. Beth's the very creative one." Ben chuckled nervously as he looked over at Beth. "Hi, nice to meet you Mr. White." Beth smiled, Jack reached out and shook her hand then held it for a few seconds longer while making eye contact with her, "I can see what Ben meant by being the very creative one." Jack smiled and complimented her outfit, you immediately caught him looking at you from the corner of his eye which made you narrow your eyes at him. What kind of game is he trying to play right now? You scooted closer to Shane and leaned against his shoulder and held his hand then placed it on the table. As evil as that was it worked, you received a subtle but apparent look of irritability from Jack after that stunt you pulled. "Alright guys, dinner's done!" Carly suddenly came from the kitchen and brought in a large plate of pasta. "I'm so happy you made this darling, I still remember when I first taught you the recipe." Carly's husband laughed and smiled up at her as she came closer and placed the pasta on the table. "That is so romantic oh my god." Beth grinned as she looked up at the elderly couple. "I'll be right out with the rest, hang tight!" Carly kissed her husband on the cheek and gave us all a smile as she went back into the kitchen. "I hate this guy, I kinda wish Ben actually was part of a cult." Shane whispered into your ear. You sighed and whispered back, "It'll be over soon, Jack's a celebrity he's probably just here to visit so relax." Ben coughed loudly, "Before we continue the introductions, i'd like to address the uh, confusion there's been since this morning." Everyone looked at Ben as he continued, "Apparently you all thought I was being suspicious or creepy which is understandable but I genuinely just am a busy person and had no intention of coming off as harmful in anyway. Especially towards (y/n), I just think she's a genuinely interesting person." You narrowed your eyes at Ben, you still felt a little weird about how things played out but you simply just shrugged it off. "It's fine I guess. We all thought you were part of a cult and about to kill us but uhhh, yeah thanks for not killing us." You chuckled and took a sip from your water. "It would've been a shame to kill you off, Ben has said so many interesting things about you that caught my attention." Jack immediately stepped in, his statement suddenly made you choke a little on your water which got him to immediately smile at you. "O-oh? Alright yeah, I must be cool for a complete stranger then." You scoffed playfully and set your water down. "Stranger? You still don't remember me?" Ben looked bewildered at your response. "Uhh yeah? You literally don't know me and I have no idea who you are or what you do besides your name and the fact that you play drums and like music." You laughed nervously, what the hell did he mean by that? "You aren't some creep stalking (y/n), now are you?" Shane intervened while looking at both Ben and Jack. "What? No! I was about to mention how me and (y/n) used to literally be best friends back in 1st grade." Ben looked confused and slightly upset over the fact that you didn't really remember him. "I'm sorry Ben, I honestly don't remember you." You looked at Ben in an attempt to remember to see if he looks familiar or not but so far you couldn't really tell.