Thirty-Five: Paradox

Zacznij od początku

"Did you survive off of those sugar packets?"

He got it in one.

"Yeah," I mumbled. "Hailee told me it made regular things edible, so I thought..."

I trailed off. Zach was absolutely furious.

"Tell me, would a human survive off just vitamin pills? No, I don't think so. What made you think the sugar shits could support your body? I thought you got slower and slower as you fought me, but what the fuck? You're not three years old; you should fucking know that you need food to live!"

Zach's sentences gradually got more entrenched in profanities as he got worked up. My shoulders relaxed as I felt his caring nature deep under those rough covers. I was glad he was much more honest with me, but now wasn't the time for sentiments.

He sensed it before I could.

The millisecond I noticed the bullet, Zach crashed into me, using his back to shield me from it and led me behind a larger tree. The shell plunged straight through his arm.

This instantly brought back unwanted memories of the time he sustained several arrows in his torso to shield me. I didn't understand why he always used his body as a shield. He may heal fast, but he still felt pain!

"You didn't have to do that!" I exclaimed.

"Of course I did. I'd do anything to protect my girl."

"I," I stuttered stubbornly. "I don't need protection."

His lips curved into an attractive smirk. "You don't deny that you're my girl?"

I gasped again. My back pressed up against the tree bark in nervousness. Zach seemed to enjoy watching me struggle to form a comeback.

"Now's not the time for that!" I said, embarrassed, and put up my forearms against his chest.

I glanced at his arm. "That bullet...."

"It was aiming directly at your heart."

I bitterly pressed a hand to my chest. "You mean the one that doesn't exist anymore?"

"You're right." He bit the inside of his bottom lip, cutting it open.

"I stole it," Zach whispered, then took my breath away.

I melted under the kiss until I realized that I unconsciously swallowed. My eyes shot wide open. Zach cut his bottom lip to transfer his blood to me.

When offered the blood of a powerful Pureblood, my mind was no match for my instincts.

My eyelids fell, and I wrapped my arms around his back. Kissing hungrily had never been more descriptive. My headache and hunger soon disappeared without a trace. I swallowed one last time and licked my lips as Zach pulled away from me.

Newfound power surged through me. The instant I drank Zach's blood, I was on my way to finally achieve the level of a Pureblood.

There was a reason why all vampires wanted a taste of a Pureblood's rare blood. I would never be enticed by any vampire's blood ever again after I drank pure blood. It was on another level in its entirety. Almost addictive.

My eyes slowly fluttered open.

Zach broke out into a small smirk. "You finally look alive."

"Strange, since we're dead." I grinned back.

He gave me a quick peck on the lips. "I'll deal with that attitude of yours later. Right now, you have an unfinished ass to kick."

I was acutely aware of my bright crimson irises as I nodded.