“’Can’t believe I was knocked down by mere kids,” he says curtly. Here he goes again. He really likes acting like an adult when he’s just a couple of years older than the rest of us here.

            “’Your fault. You should know the difference between humans and hemophages.”

            He looks at me sharply but changes expression when he notices I’m limping a bit. “Hey, are you okay?”

            “Yeah, I’m fine. Let’s fix that wound.” I pull him to the side of the room to secure a bandage on his head. He doesn’t object though he’s eyeing the two intently.

            “Who are you?” Rohan asks the guy. He’s still sore, I can tell. He doesn’t take what just happened lightly. I grin at the thought.

            “I’m Vaughn. This is Jillian.”

            “What are you doing here?”

            “They need medicine,” I interrupt and I face Vaughn. “My name’s Hope and this is Rohan. What are you doing in these parts, by the way?”

            “We’re headed to the rescue camp in Pampanga. They said it’s safe there.” My chest swells up with excitement. So, it’s true. There’s a camp in the north and people know about it.

            “Really? That’s where—what?” I’m about to say but Rohan nudges me so I have to face him. He doesn’t say anything. He just keeps his expression solid. I realize what he wants to say. He doesn’t want me to tell them about our plans.

            “You’re going there, too?” The little girl, Jillian, asks me shyly.

            I throw Rohan a look before answering the kid, “Yes. That’s right.” I don’t want to lie about heading there. Besides, they’re going, too. What could possibly go wrong?

            “Can I talk to you for a minute?” Rohan says. Before I can answer, he takes my wrist and pulls me to the hallway. I give the siblings an apologetic smile before departing. Vaughn returns it with a sympathetic nod.

            Upon reaching the hallway and out of earshot, I snatch my wrist from him. “What the hell is your problem?”

            “My problem is you’re getting too comfortable with the people who almost mugged us,” he says curtly. I pinch the bridge of my nose in incoming irritation.

            “I get it, alright,” I say. “I know you don’t like the idea that you got knocked out.”

            “’You think this is about me?” His voice is hard, angry.

            “Then, what is?” I dare. “Come on, have you seen them? There’s a child in there. They’re just survivors just like the both of us.”

            “You don’t understand.”

            “Well, try and start filling me up, then. I can’t just hold onto your temper outbursts without knowing what I did wrong.” I’m surprised by my impulsiveness. I’m not really the kind who argues but here I am, diverting from who I used to be.

            Rohan eyes turn cold. “I’m just concerned for our safety, for yours. Don’t you think it’ll be a little lax if you trust every survivor we run into?”

            I’m about to contradict him but he turns away from me.

            He speaks in a much lower voice. “Not because you learned to trust me, you’ll give it away to everyone you meet. I’m not saying its wrong but at these times; it’s always wiser to not get attached with anyone.”