Chapter 7 - Lilah

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Of all nights for him to be on time for dinner. I force a smile when he comes through the front door and wonder if I am as unconvincing as I feel. "Did I mix up the days? I thought you were headed into York tonight for some kind of business dinner."

"Plans changed. Something smells good," George says, as he tosses his briefcase onto the recliner closest to the door. "What's for dinner?"

Butter-up-Bryan in a pot. "Chicken paprika."

"Never heard of it, but it sure smells good. I'm gonna catch the news before dinner." George sprawls on the couch and begins flipping through channels. "Where's your sister and her...whatever she calls herself? They gonna be here tonight?"

"Michelle, George. She calls herself Michelle. They went to the movies and yes, they'll be here later."

From the corner of my eye, I catch the snarl that crosses his face. I have enough on my mind and promise myself I'm not going to let him get to me. Almost since Val arrived, I have had to keep reminding myself George doesn't live here and therefore has no say. Sure, the bedroom closet is loaded with his clothes, and he sleeps here every night we aren't fighting, but that doesn't mean he lives here. I invited him to spend the night once, three months ago, and he's been here most nights since. The invitation seemed harmless at the time.

George's unexpected arrival, the simmering pot, Doriah's stomp up the stairs, and the sound of a second car in the driveway; I see each as snippets of the moment before the accident occurs.

"What's he doing here?" George yells over the news.

"Doriah invited him for dinner. My father was her grandfather you know."

"All that's missing is Miss High and Mighty. Christ Li, isn't there anywhere else they can meet?"

I hear Bryan's footsteps on the porch and make my way to the front door to greet him. With my hand on the knob, I turn toward George. "Maybe you'd be more comfortable staying at your house until my family leaves." Without giving him time to respond, I open the door and offer the first of the many smiles I'll force over the next few hours.

* * *

On a scale of one-to-ten, dinner came in at a five. Small talk, flatware clinking against stoneware, and trying to decipher discreet looks passed around the dinner table helped the time pass. The minute the room fell silent, Doriah excused herself to her room. I imagine she was afraid I would end up serving her baby news for dessert.

"So, do I hear wedding bells for you two?"

I'm unable to tell if Bryan is interested or if this is his rare attempt at sarcasm.

"There's plenty of time for that." George flashes me his going-in-for-the-kill smile and turns back to Bryan. "You don't want to rush these things. You know first-hand what happens when you rush into something as big as a marriage, isn't that right?"

"You got me there." Bryan's face shows no emotion. He looks at me. "I also know that rushed or not, some bonds can't be broken." He then looks to George, and adds, "And all the time in the world can't save others."

That's my cue. "Listen, the last couple days have been hectic, and I didn't have time to make dessert," I lie, "so why don't we call it an early night. George is going to head home and Bryan, I thought you and Doriah could spend some time together. Why don't you take her with you tonight? She can come home with me after the funeral tomorrow."

Tonight is the first time I have ever told George he couldn't stay although there have been many times I've wanted to. I wait for him to challenge me, but he doesn't. Instead, he follows my lead and stands from the table.