CHAPTER 5: Word to the Wise

Unable to meet Gwen for dinner, Des decided the best way to make it up to her was to meet Gwen for brunch. However, Des wasn’t in the mood to eat, since the events of the previous night was weighting heavy on his heart. He hated to walk away from the people he loved on a bad note, and feared the last thing he’d remember of them were their harsh words of anger, because he knew tomorrow was a gift not promised to everyone.

Far too often, people find themselves in situations where they bump heads with one another over something so small, that escalates into an argument where both individuals find themselves walking away angry. However, in some cases, the individuals can return later, after having time to calm themselves, to resolve the dispute peacefully.

Then there are those rare instances where reconciliation is not possible, because one of the individuals has met their untimely demise. Therefore, leaving the surviving party to wallow in their pain, and live with the memory and regret of walking away from a senseless argument on a bad note, which is a feeling that Des vowed that he never wanted to experience.

And after a good night’s sleep, Des realized he’d overreacted, and that Tone was right. Trey making it home safe was the most important aspect of last night’s events. However, one of Des’ weaknesses was his over protection of the ones he loved.

Whenever anyone he love approached him with an issue, Des would fly off the handle, ready to do whatever it took to protect them, or to ensure their happiness. In addition, whenever Des’ loved ones would do anything that he did not agree with, he would scold them like a disappointed father disciplining a disobedient child.

“Is everything alright Sugar?” Gwen asked watching as Des played with his food.

“No . . . Not really,” Des bleakly replied. “Yeah . . . I’m fine, you don’t need to worry about me.” Des lied, after realizing his surroundings and his response.

“Why would you say that?” Gwen wondered. “You’re my grandson, and I love you. The only thing I want is to see you happy,” She told him, trying to gain his confidence. “And I can tell that whatever it is, it’s bothering you.”

Des smiled as Gwen continued, “See, I knew you wanted to talk about it.”

“If I tell you what’s bothering me,” Des replied, “You might not look at me the same way again. And I’d hate to mess up what we have with my problems.”

“There’s nothing you can tell me that will make me think any less of you,” Gwen assured him, “I’ve seen and heard all, so nothing shocks me now days.”

“Well, it’s about why I didn’t make it for dinner last night.” Des said. Feeling comfortable enough to admit the truth, Des confessed to her, “I had to deal with an unexpected problem.”

“Does the problem you were dealing with have to do with that girl of yours?” Gwen bluntly asked.

“No,” Des bashfully replied, “It’s my cousin . . . Trey.”

“Oh, so what happened?”

“I know I’m not an angel, but I have a good heart.” Des told her. “But he went against my wishes and almost got himself caught in sticky situation.”

“So did you talk to him about it?”

“Kind of . . . But the thing is, sometimes when I get angry, I say and do things that I don’t mean.” He confessed to her. “Then I wind up regretting doing them in the end.”

“So what did you do that you regret?”

“Instead of talking to him like a man,” Des went on to tell her, “I yelled at him in front of everybody, like he was a child. However, I didn’t mean to. I was just worried about him. I mean, he could have gotten himself killed, and if that would have happened, I wouldn’t have anyone to blame but myself.”

“I see.”

“So do you think I was wrong?”

“It’s hard to say.” Gwen replied, “But I see on one hand, your heart was in the right place. Then again on the other, you have to learn how to express yourself without offending people.”

“So what do I do now?”

“No, the question is what do you think you should do?” She asked him. “You already knew the answer to your question when you asked. The problem is that you do not trust yourself and your judgment.”

“I understand.”

“You know what you must do in order mend the friction between you and Trey, so swallow your pride, and do what you know to be right.”

“I will.”

“And remember, pride goes before a fall.”

“What does that mean?” Des asked confused by her idiom.

“One day you’ll understand,” she said not explaining to him the meaning of her idiom. “But for now, sit up and eat your food before it gets cold.”

“Yes grandma.” Des gladly complied.