Meeting The Grandparents

Start bij het begin

“A have something for you, Brook” Celeste said walking over to the bed. “Would you like to see it?”

“Yes, yes” Brooklyn grinned bouncing up and down in Nate’s lap.

“What did you get?” Nate asked, narrowing his eyes at Celeste. He had always told everyone not to spoil Brook with gifts at such a young age. He didn’t want her growing up to start acting like a girl who got whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted. Nate knew too many girls like that and he didn’t want his daughter turning into one of them. 

“It’s nothing to. . .extravagant” Celeste answered sitting next to him. “I saw it and knew that I had to get it, so please, don’t be upset.” She knew how he was when it came to showering Brooklyn with gifts and Celeste didn’t want to over step the boundaries.

Nate sighed and nodded “Let see it” he said 

Celeste handed him the box and watched as Nate opened it. His arms were still wrapped around Brooklyn and his hands rested in her lap as he peered over his daughters shoulder. Nate was silent as he looked down at the necklace and Celeste began to worry.

“Pretty cupcake,” Brooklyn whispered, reaching out and touching the cupcake with her finger.

“Do you like it, Brook?” Celeste asked, keeping her eyes on the little girl in Nate’s arms.

“Yeah,” Brook smiled up at Celeste.

“What do you say?” Nate asked 

“Thank you,” Brooklyn said looking back down at the necklace.

“You’re welcome” Celeste smiled “I’m. . .um. . .going to get ready so we can go.”

Celeste knew without looking at Nate that he was a little upset. You could tell by the box that the necklace was in that it wasn’t just a simple piece of jewelry that you pick up from walmart. It was a expensive piece and Celeste knew that Nate would have something to say about it. She knew that Nate spent the money that he made from working with his father on Brooklyn. But, that was different, she was his child and he had the right to get things for his daughter. Celeste also knew that he didn’t buy Brook things just because she wanted it. She just hoped that Nate wouldn’t be too upset about the necklace. 

After getting ready they said their goodbyes to the group and headed down to Nate’s truck. He had called ahead to make sure that it was waiting out front for them when they reached the lobby. Celeste didn’t try and make small talk with Nate as they rode the elevator down or during the walk out to the truck. She wasn’t sure what she should say or if she should really say anything at all. Celeste climbed into the passenger seat as Nate buckled Brook into her seat in the back. He said nothing as he slid into the drivers seat and drove away from the hotel. They hadn’t been driving long but, the silence was really starting to get to Celeste and she didn’t like it. She wanted to know what he was thinking. 

“You’re upset, aren’t you?” Celeste asked glancing at Nate from the corner of her eye. “I’ll return the necklace if it’ll make you feel better.” She really did not want to return it but, she would if that’s what he wanted. 

Nate didn’t reply for a while and it started to make her nervous. Maybe he was more than just a little upset. Celeste wasn’t sure but, she didn’t take his silence as a good thing either. It normally wasn’t anything good when someone gave you the silent treatment and she had been getting that from Nate for just about twenty minutes –ten minutes at the hotel and another ten minutes driving. Celeste heard Nate sigh as his slowed the truck to a stop in front of a two-story home. She kept her focus on the house in front of her not wanting to look over at Nate.