Chapter 3

How did it ever get like this? You asked yourself the same question every day. He had been so nice before in school. He was the star athlete of the school. All the girls wanted to be with him, but he chose you. The quiet and shy girl who got straight A's and volunteered at the animal shelter during the summers. Every popular girl in school hated you, but that didn't matter to you as you were the one this man chose. You thought he was proud to have you as a girlfriend. He would grab you in the halls and kiss you. He would show you off to every friend he had. You didn't see the signs he was using you. Your family was wealthy. And as you were the only child, you received a large inheritance from both grandparents and your own parents, making you a wealthy girl. You didn't notice that he had shown interest only after he found out about your parents death. You didn't notice when he started asking you to hold his stuff while he did this or that. The lavish fairytale wedding was the end to your fairytale thoughts of a perfect life as he soon pinned you with a contract and a threat that he would take everything if you didn't do a good job as a wife. So there you were, on the floor of your home, weeping at the abuse you endured everyday just to keep a roof over your head. Everyday, you sought a way out, and you were running out of options and sanity.

Your thoughts finally landed on your only way out. You knew you had to do something. You decided, it was all or nothing. Standing up, you crossed to the kitchen and pulled out a knife, and stuck it in your apron. If he came home early, you would need it. Then you set off to his study. He never allowed you in it, even though this had been your own home. He had locked it, but what he didn't know, is that there was a trick to getting it unlocked without the key, as your father had taught you how to break in when he had accidentally locked himself out of the room. You jammed the knife between the door and frame and popped the door open. Then you set to work, searching his desk. Finally you found what you were looking for. He had his your bank papers from you so you could do nothing with the money. He would only allow you to sign checks he approved. You put everything back in its place and went to your room to change into a nice dress and make sure you looked presentable to the public before taking your purse with your bank papers and leaving the house.