Ch 47

Chapter 47

                “It’s disgusting,” Ali said, laughing. “I am literally disgusted by how big that rock is!” I smiled and shook my head.

                “Me, too,” I breathed. “It’s embarrassing.”

                “Humiliating,” she agreed. “You lucky girl.” It was the morning after Dave’s proposal and Alison had taken me out brunch to celebrate. I had just finished telling her the details surrounding my engagement, the candles, the rose petals, the song … and the ring! “So when are you thinking about having the wedding? Before or after the baby comes?”

                “I think after,” I confided. “I’d like to be my normal size and I also don’t want to feel like we are rushing to get it done just so we can be married when the baby gets here.”

                “I understand,” Ali said, smiling. “And that way, you can have the baby at the wedding, it will be special!”

                “That is exactly what I was thinking!” I said, smiling.

                “OK,” Ali said, pulling out her planner, “For our next order of business: Baby shower! So Dave’s family isn’t arriving until the middle of November, and you’re parents are coming out for Thanksgiving, so I was thinking that we could the shower the Saturday after Thanksgiving? How does that sound?”

                “That sounds perfect,” I said smiling. “But nothing too crazy or over the top please!”

                “Kate, this is LA,” Ali said with a devious grin. It’s going to be as obscene as that ring on your finger!” I laughed and looked down at my ring again; still blown away by how stunning it was.

                “I still can’t believe he proposed,” I said with a sigh. “I didn’t think he’d ever do it!”

                “We all were waiting and waiting,” Ali said, shaking her head. “That’s one thing about Dave, he doesn’t do ANYTHING with out thinking it through. That’s how you know he really wants this.” Just then the baby kicked and I jumped a little bit.

                “Whoa boy,” I said, rubbing my tummy and laughing. “I got a little punk rocker in there, I think!”

                “Have you guys picked out a name yet?” Ali asked, taking a sip of her coffee.

                “Not yet!” I said, shaking my head.

                “Can’t agree on one that you both like?”

                “No, it’s not even that. It’s just that nothing is calling out to us, we have a bunch that we like, but nothing that we love,” I explained. I bit my lip and leaned over the table closer to Ali. “Can I run something by you?” Ali nodded. “I was thinking about asking Dave if he’d like to name the baby James, after his friend, Jimmy Swanson.” Ali put her hand to her chest, covering her heart.

                “Oh Kate…” she whispered. “I think that’s beautiful.”

                “Did you know Jimmy?” I asked her. She nodded.

                “He was so crazy,” she said, smiling at some scene playing out in her memory. “But in a good way. I don’t think any of us realized he had a problem until it was too late. Dave was… crushed. We all were, but Dave took it really hard. I think Dave liked having someone around that knew him. When he died, it was like losing a link to his past.” I was starting to tear up, thinking about my poor Dave suffering such a loss, remembering him at the cemetery.