III.

LAMENT | III.
( 'A RAVEN' )

WINTERFELL297 A

WINTERFELL
297 A.C.

Robb Stark silently made his way through the Godswood, in search of a certain blonde. A raven had come from The Twins with Walder Frey's seal. His father had requested that he find Willa and bring her to the Great Hall. He had to admit, he found it odd that in the five years Willa had lived here, they had never received a letter from her father once. It made him skeptical of what the contents of the letter were.

When he found Willa, resting against the Weirwood tree, his lips ticked up at the sight. He'd never seen a girl look as beautiful as Willa. In her own way she was a foreign beauty, the only girl in the North with golden locks. Robb wondered if she could be mistaken as a Lannister.

"I knew I'd find you out here," Robb voiced, making his presence known. Willa's head turned, and her eyes seemed to sparkle as they rested on Robb. He leaned against the Weirwood tree, smiling down at Willa.

"Your mother says that she feels like an outsider here, and I agree. This is the only place that reminds me I'm not a true Northerner," she chuckled and shook her head.

"You're as much a Northerner as I am. This is your home Willa," he told her. If anything, Willa was much more a Northerner than Sansa was. All his sister dreamt of was going South. She knew nothing of Willa's past, and Willa wished to keep that way. Sansa had dreams and Willa didn't want to ruin that for her. Sansa's experience would be much different than Willa's, but Robb doubted that.

"I know," she smiled, "So what is Lord Robb Stark doing out here? You could have sent Rylen to find me."

Robb easily could have sent Ethan or Rylen to find Willa, but he wanted to spend time alone with her before they had to read the letter that could contain disappointing news.

"I wanted to see you, besides, Rylen was too busy fawning over Jon," Willa chuckled. The young handmaiden had been infatuated with Jon since he found her and Ethan in the stables. Robb was certain his half-brother was unaware of Rylen's crush since Jon was oblivious to everything.

Willa held her hands up, "Well here I am," they dropped back to her lap, "How may I be of service?"

Robb shifted against the tree, "There's been a raven from your father. My mother wants you to be there when they open it."

Panic washed over Willa's face and Robb dropped down beside her, resting a hand on her shoulder in an attempt to comfort her.

"Hey," he said, "You have nothing to worry about."

And he meant it. Robb would give his life before he would allow anything to happen to Willa, just like he would go to war before he would allow Walder Frey to force Willa south.

"I'm just paranoid," she chuckled, but Robb knew she was trying to downplay her fear. The fear that she'd be a game piece in her father's hands.

"Willa, I swear, no matter what that letter says today, you will remain here," Robb told her, holding up his pinky, "I promise."