It didn’t sound like an actual question, but I answered anyway. "Sometimes yes, but other times it's not so bad. Like you for example. I've healed a few vampires, but your venom is so strong. It feels like my whole insides are on fire almost instantly."

"It's because I drink daily. Sometimes a few times a day."

"Why?"

He half smiled and laughed once without humor. "Because I can, and it keeps me at my best, strongest."

"I guess that makes sense." I started to pick at the breakfast, a ham and cheese omelet.

When I was almost done, he asked "You really want to know where your friends are, don't you?"

"Yes, I do."

"My word isn't good enough?"

"I just need to hear it from them."

"If I tell you I know where they are, will you feel better?"

"Maybe."

"They're here looking for you."

"They are?"

"Yes, but I believe they'll be going home very soon."

'They're here. Just like the note said.' I thought and asked "And you're sure they're here?"

"They're here.”

“All of them?" I asked, and he nodded.

"Myron and Garret have been seen around town. Vincent and Charlotte are close, too."

"What about Melanie?"

"No one's seen her. We think she's still at home. I haven't gotten any word back yet to be sure. When I do, I'll let you know."

'She's here, too. I can feel it.' I nodded and let that sink in a little. Hesitantly, I asked "You won't hurt them, will you?"

He took a long time to answer. "I'm trying very hard not to, but it's not easy."

'Was that honesty?' I wondered and stuttered "Th-Thank you."

"Don't thank me, yet. I did say I was trying not to hurt them."

"Why are you being … honest?"

"I think that's a conversation for another time." He stood up and stared at me for a long a moment, as if he were deciding something. I half expected him to drain me dry again, but he didn't. Instead, I watched him as he slowly left, waiting for him to change his mind and come back, but he just left. 'I don't believe it. He left. Without a drop of my blood. ... He must be full. That's got to be it. ...' I sat there for a little while, trying to figure out what his motive might be, but the only thing I could think of is that we were playing the same game. Trying to convince each other to trust the other. 'This isn't going to end well.'

I spent the rest of the morning wandering around the room, closet and attempting to play the piano. I even tried to figure out a way to get up to the window sill, but nothing in the room was tall enough for me stand on and reach the edge enough to pull myself up. And yes, I tried everything I could move, including the damn piano. I'm sure all those sensitive ears around the place had to have heard that, but no one came in to check on me. All the while I kept thinking. 'I think I've been here a few days, but I'm not sure. So Melanie would've tried to connect by now, wouldn't she? Maybe she can't. Maybe I'm too far away or something. ... But I connected to my mom when I was home and she was here. Maybe I was passed out when she tried. ... Could he really be telling me the truth? No ones seen Mel? But Vin, Myron, Charlotte and Garret are here. That means she has to be with them, hiding. She better be safe. There will be Hell to pay if she's not. They know that, so they have to be hiding her. ... Now I just have to get out of here and get to them.' I felt like someone was watching me, so I quickly glanced around. 'This place needs a serious lighting make over.' I couldn't see anyone, but I felt someone was there. "Hello? ... Who's there?"

"You're the Healer, right?" A quiet voice asked.

"Yes. Who are you? Where are you?"

"I'm Evangeline, but everyone calls me Eva. I'm sorry you have to be here. I didn't like it at first either, but you get used to it. It's really not that bad, if you follow the rules."

"Not so bad? Yeah, I'll take your word for that. Wait. Rules?"

"Do whatever he says, and you’ll get along just fine." She finally stepped into view near the piano. It was the women from before with the soft brown hair, eyes that almost glowed white, young, strange, seemingly quiet. It was the same girl. "He must really like you to put you in here. He's been working on this room for a really long time. He never let anyone in here until you."

"He did say it was for me."

"I thought so. ... You know. He's really not that bad. If you give him a chance you might even like him."

I laughed once hard. "Yeah, I'm sure if I could forget the fact that he killed my parents, and that I got to watch, sort of, I just might. The truth is I don't know why he has me in here instead of a cell, like I saw my mom in."

"Because you're more important to me than that." I couldn't see him, but Damian was somewhere near the door.

'Oh, damn!' I was looking at Eva, and her eyes looked like they were going to pop out of her head. "I can't forget that you know. I'm sure it sounds childish to someone like you, but I can't." The girl had taken on an almost solemn look, almost shameful.

"I don't expect you to." He came into view near Eva and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Is that what's keeping you from trusting me?"

"In all honesty? Yes."

"Do you think you'll ever be able to get past that?"

'NO!!!!' I acted as if I were thinking it over. "I don't know."

"You killed my twin brother, and I forgive you for that."

"He was attacking me and my family. You forced mom and dad to kill each other."

He nodded and sighed heavily. "That's true." He seemed to be thinking for a long moment. Finally he glanced at Eva and said "I believe you still need to be healed." She nodded once and glanced at me. "Alexis, would be so kind as to join us over here."

As I forced myself to slowly walk toward them, I said "I'm sorry. It must be Hell to be near me. I should've offered before. I wasn’t thinking."

"Before?" Damian asked.

I quickly realized she that maybe she wasn’t supposed to in here. "She was fixing the candles on the chandelier. I don't even think she noticed I was awake."

"I didn't. I'm sorry if I woke you."

"It's okay. I don't think it was you who woke me up, anyway." He glanced at us suspiciously, so I quickly shrugged and added "Bad dreams." Glancing at Damian, I held out my arm to her and asked "Shall we?"

"I was hoping to join the two of you, Alexis." He said with a smirk playing at the corners of lips.

I slowly lowered my arm. "What do you mean?"

"While you heal her, I'd like to taste you. I very much enjoy the way your blood changes. It’s intriguing and intoxicating."

Not liking it one bit, I swallowed hard and nodded. "I think that's doable."

He grinned like a lion about to get his prey. "Excellent." He gestured for me sit on the bench, and I did with a very bad feeling. He motioned for Eva to sit to my left, and he sat to my right. As I held out my left arm to Eva, I felt him gently brushing my hair away from neck. I looked at Eva with what I'm sure was fear and uncertainty clear in my expression. She gently took my arm and bit down. As I cringed, he hastily bit down as well. It took a few minutes to think clearly enough to do anything but groan in pain. When I finally did start to heal her, I felt his hand slide around my neck, tightening slightly and lifting my chin up, holding my head still. His other arm slowly wrapped around my waist, hugging me closer to him. I managed to heal her fairly quickly.

After she let go of me, he pointed to the door, and she nodded once and began to leave. "Thank you." She murmured and glanced back at me with apology in her eyes.

"Welcome." I managed to rasp in a small, weak voice. 'Damn it. He's draining me, again. Can't he stop himself?' I tried to stop the blood flow to my neck, but it made things worse. He bit down harder and sucked harder, so I had no choice. I could only let him drain me, yet again.

I was just about to pass out, when I thought I heard Melanie. 'Stop him, aunt Lex!'

I thought it was just wishful thinking, but I weakly answered anyway, before I lost consciousness. 'I can't.'

****Charlotte