Chapter 19

Ryder wasn't sure he was breathing as he sprinted up the street. He could vaguely remember releasing the servant and turning, Lucinda nodding and telling him to go. People were jumping out of his way as he ran, some of them shouting angrily at his back. He didn't look back.

     The gates were getting closer, and Ryder put on a burst of speed. He could feel his heart hammering in his chest, a result of all the running and the fear that was catching in his ribcage.

     The guards opened the gate when they saw him coming, and he slipped through and hurtled forward. The door to the palace was barred, manned by a battalion of guards. These ones didn't let him through.

     "The queen," He panted, one hand on the sword at his hip. "Where is she? Is she okay?"

     Gods, if she was hurt...He wouldn't be able to live with himself.

     "We don't know," One of the guards said, exchanging looks with the others. "The Commander is sending in a stealth group of guards to take out the rebels."

     "Where is he?"

     "Around the back," The guard replied. Ryder was already sprinting away when he added, "The kitchen doors!"

     Ryder felt like the world was falling down around him. If she was hurt, if she was hurt, if she was hurt...

     He spotted a group of guards and nobles by the doors and skidded to a stop beside them. They all looked startled to see him, and he spotted Clarisse in the group. Commander Broce was in the center, apparently giving orders to the assembled guards.

     "What's the plan?" Ryder demanded. "I want in."

     "You aren't in any position to make demands, Tate." The Commander frowned. "We'll have a discussion about you abandoning your post later, but for now—can you shoot a bow?"

     Ryder nodded, forcing himself to focus. "Yes, sir. Longbow and crossbow."

     Broce tapped his fingers against the hilt of his sword. "And you know the layout of the library?"

     Ryder nodded again.

     "You're in, then." The Commander gestured at one of the guards beside him, and the guard handed Ryder a bow and quiver. "We need all the manpower we can get."

     Quickly and efficiently, Broce explained the plans to the group of guards. Half of them were going in through the kitchens to distract the rebel group, while the other half went in through the library windows. Ryder would be with the second group, and he was to shoot the rebels holding the queen on Broce's mark.

     It was a simple but effective plan. The kitchen group went in as the library group started to jog around the palace. Only a few guards stayed behind to protect the nobles who had made it out, and Ryder spotted Lady Bevile crying beside Clarisse as he followed his group.

     There were seven of them, and only four windows on this side of the palace. The other guards doubled up, but Ryder got his own window. He crouched in front of it, ready to roll through, and squinted into the dim light.

     On the tables, he could see several lords and ladies huddled around, surrounded by men in masks. And in the back...

     Two rebels stood on either side of Juliet's favorite table, holding her arms. She lay on top of it and thrashed as a third sunk a syringe into her arm and pushed the plunger down. 

     Rage bubbled low in Ryder's gut, and he couldn't see anything except her panicked face, the rebels on either side of her. He focused on Broce's breathing at the next window, waiting it for to catch and him to give the mark.     Silently, he reached into his quiver. He already had one arrow loaded, but he didn't want to take any chances. He loaded a second one right next to the first.