Chapter 10 ~ Dragon's Song

Beginne am Anfang

The dragon purred contently, nuzzling closer to my abdomen and closing its eyes, and I slowly steered Nightwing back to Snotlout. "Wow! That was amazing Brenna! It worked. You actually got him to sleep!" He whispered excitedly. I blushed darker, shrugging. "It was nothing." I said. Snotlout smiled wider, and I carefully handed Garf back to him. "I should go look for the Moonroot now and then get back home. I'll come back soon though." I told him. Hookfang and Nightwing nudged each other in farewell, before Nightwing flapped her wings and headed in the direction of the Edge, turning toward the southern part of the island, while Snotlout returned to the north. I clutched her saddle as we began to descend on the shore, the cool night air whipping against my face.

Once on the land, I dismounted Nightwing and began to walk into the treeline, searching for the glowing buds I was in need of. The forest on the Edge was truly beautiful at night, and I took my time walking through the trees and bushes. Every now and then a Night Terror or Terrible Terror would flutter out of the greenery, squawking at me for disturbing it's rest, before flying away to some other location. I laughed lightly, enjoying the mystic beauty of this place. I could understand why my friends enjoyed living here so much. Berk was amazing, and would always be my home, but taking a break from the village by coming here allowed me time to think, with no one to bother me.

Even though it had been weeks since Astrid was sick with the Scourge of Odin, her words about Snotlout and how he actually liked me were still buzzing in my head. "Maybe I should confess my feelings," I mused to Nightwing. She bobbed her snout slightly, stepping through the bushes behind me.

While I debated this concept, my dragon and I found ourselves in the center of the island. There was a cave that opened up to the nearby mountain, and just outside the mouth of the darkened cavern, were the brightest white Moonroot flowers I had ever seen. "Remind me to tell Fishlegs thank you about this." I remarked, moving toward the ethereal glow. Nightwing followed close behind, lifting her wings so that I could turn and grip one of my medicinal jars in her saddlebag. "Thanks girl." I said, patting her nose as I withdrew one clay jar and then kneeled on the ground. Taking my time, I carefully pulled some of the flowers from the ground, making sure I would have enough to take care of my clanmates in the village.

Only a few moments passed by before Nightwing suddenly growled, her hackles raising in aggression and fangs bared. I jumped away, trying to get out of the way before she decided to pounce on whatever she was staring at, which appeared to be inside the mouth of the cave. "What is it, girl?" I wondered aloud, drawing my bow and arrows from behind my shoulder. This time, Nightwing extended her claws, eyes practically slits, and she stood up to her full height. She opened her mouth, releasing a mighty roar, her body erupting in flames, a typical Monstrous Nightmare move. The next thing I knew, a sword flew through the air from inside the cave, narrowly missing my head and instead sinking into the bark of a nearby tree. I yelped in surprise, nocking an arrow and letting it fly into the darkness, while Nightwing charged into the cave, diving upon the person or thing that had tried to hurt me. The loud shouting inside the darkness informed me that my attacker had been caught.

A second later, Nightwing came back, this time holding an armored man between her jaws, carrying him into the open. The man was nearly crying in fear, tears wetting his face, while one of my arrows stuck out of his upper shoulder. He grit his teeth painfully, attempting to pull the weapon out of his body. I had never met this person in my entire life. Why did he try to kill me, and why is he on Dragon's Edge? "Please...please...I'll tell you anything, just let me go." He moaned in pain as Nightwing shook him roughly. I suppressed my laugh, instead remaining as stoick as I could manage. "Who are you?" I asked, crossing my arms. "My name is unimportant." "Fine, then why are you here?" He refused to answer me. My fingers gripped the shaft of the arrow and I tugged on it, eliciting another whimper from the man as he let go of it himself. "I'm here because my commander has a bounty on you. He ordered me to track you down and kill you." He admitted, surprisingly quickly.