A Mother

Thranduil sat slouched on his chair, barely listening to the discussions set forth by his kingdoms council members. They were arguing about empty lands near their borders. How beneficial it would be if the kingdom acquired such lands.

His fingers tapped on the table gently, trying to focus. It was a futile attempt but the rest of the elves in the room didn't seem to notice. His eyes turn to the reason for their lack of interest in him.

Legolas sat on his right, his posture almost rigid and his expression serious. He was the one handling the meeting right now and Thranduil could not help but feel a swell of pride watching his son taking kingdom matters into his own hands. A small fleeting smile spread across his lips as Legolas argued, explained and discussed. The way the others hanged on to his every word and gave approving nods was enough to make Thranduil hand over the crown right then and there.

But he knew, deep in his heart, Legolas did not want the crown. He knew for a long time now. Legolas belonged to their people in a different manner. His son had dedicated his life to this world and all those who may yet see tomorrow. Despite the sadness he felt, Thranduil was still proud. He could not believe how Legolas had grown so well despite his many shortcomings as a father.

Then his thoughts drifted to an image of a small wooden crib beside the bed he shared with Mantheniel. The small fingers that clasped around his tightly and the bright eyes that seemed to steal all his sadness and worries. Ah, how much he wanted to leave this meeting and go to her.

"Adar?"

Thranduil refocused on Legolas who was staring at him with a curious look. Had his son asked a question? He blinked, trying to gain his composure when Legolas shared a knowing smile.

"It would seem my father is quite tired," he explains to those around them. "I wish for him to rest if there is no one among you that would contradict my word for his?"

"Of course, Lord Legolas," one answers immediately. Thranduil remembered him as one of those who also advised and convened with his father. "The king would wish the same. Will he not?"

Thranduil stared at them a moment before, "Yes, of course. He is very much capable as I am to rule this kingdom. I apologize for my lack of responses. It seems my mind no longer wishes to discuss such matters for it is always busy worrying about other trivial things."

"Ah, we all worry over our little elflings," one of the four ellith in his council says cheerfully. She flashes him an understanding look. "Especially one so young. A daughter needs the presence of her father as much as a mothers."

Three of the council members share a laugh, their eyes filled with that same look. They all have little elflings of their own.

"Legolas will be fine," one chimes in, sharing a glance with the one beside him. "We promise not to stress him too much."

"I'll try to be as patient as my father," Legolas says with a laugh. They all chuckle and Thranduil could not help but feel he was the topic of some inside joke. He shook the thought away and proceeded to stand, prompting all of them to stand with respect.

They bowed as he turned to Legolas, a hand on his shoulder. "Do as you wish. Don't scare them too much."

"I'll try," Legolas bows to him as Thranduil made his exit. As he passed through the doors he could hear Legolas' firm but calm voice.

"We do not touch those lands..."

He sounded very much like him, causing Thranduil to chuckle as he made his way to where he might find his wife- and with him, their princess.