promotion

hiiii. i haven't written like this in over a year so please be nice to me and i'm sorry if it sucks 😭 i literally was inspired the other day because i was just watching the office and thinking about harry and this is what i came up with i guess

+

"Morning, love," Harry greeted smoothly from the confinement of his cubicle, a smile slanted upon his lips. His legs were kicked up on the edge of his desk and he was twirling a pen between his long digits thoughtlessly, clearly not interested in the stack of papers piled by his computer.

Bella offered him nothing more than a glance from the side of her eyes. She didn't have the energy to even return a good morning to him today. She tucked her thick curls behind her ears as she pulled her chair out, sitting down with a deep sigh flooding through her nostrils. The stress was evident on her soft face; her full, round lips were twitching down at the corners and her brows were furrowed together so that the skin between them pinched into a crease. There weren't many days out of the few years she'd worked there that she appeared as unnerved as she did this morning. Bella was typically calm and collected, with her attitude as neat as the pleated fabric of her skirt; today, however, her stomach was churning and her anxiety was at an all time high.

Today was the day she was going to finally speak with her boss about a promotion.

She had been working there long enough for one, and hell if she didn't put in more effort than every other employee. Bella was always the one to finish her work first, getting through folders of data in a few hours while it took others the entire work day. She was aware of the pointed looks and irritated whispers that got thrown her way quite often- people thought she was a bit of a show off, but Bella would take being labeled as a show off if it meant that her boss would notice her hard work. And she hoped, with every fiber in her being, that he had noticed.

"No hello, huh?" Harry frowned and gave a shake of his head. "What's into you this morning? Look like you're about to upchuck your breakfast."

"I might," Bella breathed, running her palms over her thighs. "I'm going to ask Cobb for a promotion."

Harry's eyebrows rose drastically. He could tell from his coworker's body language when she had sat down that she was uneasy and now he understood why.

"Promotion? What- why?" He cocked his head curiously.

"Because I've been working here for over two years and I want to advance my contribution and do something more than just sorting data," she explained with a lick of her lips.

"But who would want to do more than that? It doesn't get much better than sorting people's finances," Harry said dryly in hopes of getting her plump lips to curl into a smile. They didn't, though, and he mentally scolded himself for the pathetic attempt at a joke.

"Well, anyway," Harry pinched the collar of his shirt and shrugged, "Good luck with that, then. You definitely deserve it more than any of the blokes that work here," he chuckled and stopped himself from adding 'myself included' because she was probably already aware of that.

It wasn't that Harry wasn't skilled at financing- in fact, he had always been quite advanced in mathematics at school- it was simply that he really couldn't be bothered to care. This wasn't the kind of place where he saw himself working at in the future, his interests leaning more towards music and songwriting than helping people with their money, so for now he had this job solely to make ends meet.

"Thanks," Bella grumbled. She finally turned to him in her swivel chair in order to offer a small smile. She couldn't help but find his words of encouragement sweet. Harry beamed back at her.