Chapter 32: Candlelit Questions

Börja om från början

"What's all this for, Arty?" Audrey asked.

Artemis took a deep breath before he took her left hand and led her to the center of the gazebo. He glanced at his feet, silently debating over his word choice. When he looked back at Audrey, his eyes were soft, and while the smile on his face had dissipated slightly, it was still there. "Well... I brought you here to ask you something incredibly important," Artemis admitted, his voice sounding more confident than he felt.

Audrey looked at him curiously. "Alright. What is it?"

"I just want you to know that this year and a half  I have spent with you has been absolutely amazing. I... I never imagined we would end up here, and I am ever-so grateful that I have had the opportunity to be a part of your life and Scorpius' as well," Artemis began. He paused for a moment, making Audrey wonder where he was going with this. "It's been a very long two and half, three years now for the both of us, and without you, I'm certain I wouldn't be the man I am today. You have made me so incredibly happy... words can hardly begin to explain it. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. Which brings me to the point of this little venture."

In one swift motion, Artemis reached into his pocket and got down on one knee. Audrey felt her heart rate increase, seeing him holding a small box in his hand. She felt her right hand cover her mouth involuntarily from shock. Was this what she thought it was?

Artemis took a deep breath before looking up into Audrey's now tear-glazed eyes. His thumb rested on the side of the box, waiting for the right moment. "I cannot imagine growing old and living life with anyone else, nor do I want to. And if you say yes to my next question, I promise no one will work harder to make you happy or cherish you more than me." He paused long enough to pry the box open with his thumb, revealing a diamond ring that gleamed in the dim lighting. "Will you do me the honor of marrying me and being my wife?"

Tears flowed from Audrey's eyes as she nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, Artemis. I will," she answered.

Artemis took the ring from the box and carefully slid it onto her finger before pulling her into a tight embrace. Audrey hugged him back, her head resting on his shoulder, tears continuing to stream from her eyes. Neither of them spoke for several minutes, soaking in the happiness of the moment they just shared. It had been a long time since Audrey had felt this happy, in all honesty. But it was a strange feeling, too. What was it going to be like to be married again? Audrey loved Artemis dearly, like she had loved Draco. She only hoped she didn't lose him as she did Draco. Admittedly, she wasn't sure she would be able to endure another loss of that magnitude. Before she could start thinking too much though, Artemis spoke again.

"I love you so much," he said quietly.

"I love you too, Arty," Audrey replied, her voice sounding shakier than she wanted it to.

He pulled away from her slightly before reaching up to wipe some of the tears from her eyes before cupping her face in his hands gently. "I know this isn't going to be easy for you, but I promise I'll work my hardest to keep you happy and to make sure you and Scorpius are taken care of," he assured. "You deserve the best, and I promise that's exactly what you'll get. Forever and always."

Audrey didn't need the reassurance, but it was comforting anyways. "I believe you, Artemis."

He leaned in and kissed her gently on her lips before pulling away from her again, taking one of her hands in his. "Shall we head home now, my love? Mother promised she would keep Scorpius for the rest of the evening so we can have some quality time together," he went on.

Audrey nodded. "I think that sounds wonderful," she said, always more than happy to spend time with him.

Without another word, the two of them Disapparated, and after a few seconds arrived back at the manor. The remainder of the evening Audrey was still in disbelief; she was going to be getting married again. It was a strange feeling, knowing she was really moving on from Draco's death. On one hand it was exciting, but on the other it was kind of sad. It had been almost three years now, and while she would always love and miss Draco, she knew it was okay to move on and live a happy life with Artemis.

He made her happy when she thought she would never be happy again. He loved her through all the dark times, carried her through the storms. He wasn't a perfect man by any means, but he tried so hard to make everything perfect for her. Artemis adored her, adored Scorpius, and that was more than enough for her.

For a while, Audrey had been so uncertain about moving on from Draco. But as she laid there with Artemis later that night, she knew marrying him was the right choice, and she couldn't wait to call him her husband.