LRT (Part 3 of 3)

The next day, Maine is still thinking about her encounter with RJ's grandmother and sister while she's at work. Seeing as she and RJ are friends she supposed that it's normal for him to tell them about her. But she recalls their enthusiasm at meeting her and she's confused all over again.

Ano kayang kinwento ni RJ sa kanila?

She's so distracted by her thoughts that she doesn't notice the black backpack that's been opened in front of her. She doesn't even look up when she greets the passenger a good evening. When she checks the inside of the bag, she's startled to find a bouquet of pink and yellow carnations inside. She looks up and finds RJ beaming at her.

"Hi, Nicomaine."

"RJ. Ay, sir RJ pala. Ano namang paandar yan? San ka pupunta?"

He takes out the bouquet and hands it to her.

"Para sa'yo yan."

"Sakin? Bakit?"

"Secret."

"Wow. Ang pabebe ha. Bakit nga?"

"Basta. Anong oras ba tapos ng shift mo ngayon?"

She checks her watch. "Isang oras pa."

"Ayos. Sige, hawakan ko muna 'tong flowers. Hintayin kitang matapos. Dinner tayo. May kwento ako sa'yo," he starts walking towards the benches.

"Ang tagal pa ng isang oras baka mainip ka," she shouts after him.

He jogs back towards her.

"Hihintayin kita," he tells her earnestly.

***

An hour and a half later, they're seated at the McDonald's across the LRT station.

"Sigurado ka ba na dito mo gustong kumain? Pwede naman sa iba. Sige na, kahit saan mo gusto," RJ says.

"Masaya na ko sa McDo, ano ka ba," she smiles at him.

"Sige, sabi mo eh. Ay, nga pala! Sayo nga pala 'to," he hands her the bouquet.

She blushes. It's been a while since she's gotten flowers, she can't even remember when the last time was.

"Thank you, RJ. Pero bakit ba may ganito? Kagabi pa ko naguguluhan sa mga ganap ah."

RJ takes a deep breath.

"May kwento ako..."

***

June 19, 2013

An annoying ringing sound wakes RJ up from his nap. He covers his ears with his pillow hoping to make it go away but his phone just keeps ringing and ringing. With a huff, he picks it up.

"Hello?"

"RJ!"

"Ate. Bakit?"

"Sunduin mo ko dito sa LRT station. Nasira yung train. Ang dami kong dalang pinamili. Medyo mabigat."

"Ibbook na lang kita ng Uber, ate."

"Shunga, susunduin ba ko nun dito sa taas ng LRT? Kailangan ko nga ng katulong magbuhat nitong mga pinamili ko."

He rubs the sleep out of his eyes. "Sige, ate. Anong station ba?"