Chapter Two

Hours Later
Apartment

Sam sits hunched over her computer, a cup of coffee steaming next to it; untouched. The blonde fixes her glasses, not even paying much attention to her surroundings. The article was the last sent out from Tony Stark himself, hours before his team went down and was never heard from again.

Sam had somehow convinced herself that there had to be some kind of message in the writing, something....anything that would lead her to the whereabouts of the fallen heroes. A knock on the door stops Sam's train of thought, her eyes snap to the door with a small glare as she stands.

Slowly, Sam stands from her bed made on the couch and walks to the door, opening it only a crack to look at the person who dared to interrupt her research.

"I brought food, I swear." The male voice of her best friend chuckles, Sam rolls her eyes and fully opens the door to reveal Dean Howlett. A blonde guy with green eyes that sparkled with a new excitement whenever his eyes landed on Sam.

"I will only allow this interruption once!" Sam cheers with a small smile while gesturing for him to come into her apartment.

"Thanks for accepting me." Dean sarcastically comments while walking towards her small kitchen area, dropping the food on the counter with a loud thud. "I brought burgers and pie."

"That is why I love you," Sam smirks as she quickly goes towards the bags on the counter but Dean quickly puts his arm in her path to stop her. "What?"

"What have you been doing for the last six hours?" Dean demands.

"Working." Sam shrugs before dodging his arm barrier to go towards the food on the counter.

"On? Mark texted me and said you got mandatory leave." Dean quips. "He said you were going 'to prove Maria wrong' and that 'everyone in the office was worried about your sanity when you left'. Care to explain?"

"I've been trying to find them," Sam mutters, Dean sighs while throwing his hands in the air.

"Sam! We've talked about this, you don't want people coming here and forcing you to stop. Do you?!" Dean angrily yells.

"Calm down Dean, you know what happens when you're angry." Sam comments.

"Shut up." Dean shakes his head.

"But just because of you and I, it shows me that there are some kinds of heroes out there. I still believe they're there, I still believe in heroes!" Sam shrieks.

"Lower your voice." Dean orders. "If anyone were to figure out what we were, we'd be taken out."

"Then we have to find them before someone else does before people die trying." Sam hisses, the food momentarily was forgotten.

"That's not our job." Dean shakes his head. "That's the police and the-"

"I don't care, Dean! Look where we are now with the help of the police!" Sam interrupts. "Hydra has taken over everything. If Hydra's here, then there had to be some kind of superhero that roaming the earth at one point!"

"Sam, if there was.....Hydra wouldn't be in power, someone would be there to stop them." Dean explains with a sigh, moving to his best friends side to place his arms on top of hers. "But there's no one."

"Then why don't we do it?" Sam demands. "We have to ability."

"But....we don't have the numbers." Dean quickly shoots her down.

"We could try to find them." Sam offers.

"How? What could we possibly do to gather people without getting caught? We've almost gotten caught when we first just met each other and we didn't even do anything!" Dean argues. "There's nothing we can do."

Sam opens her mouth to reply when something crashes through her living room window, she shrieks out as Dean pulls them both behind the counter to take cover. Something large lands on the floor by the glass table (that is most likely shattered) leaving the room in an eery silence.

Sam takes in deep breaths while holding onto Dean's arm as if it was her lifeline, finally, she gets to courage to crawl around the corner (much to Dean's protests) to look and see what crashed through the window.

Sam's eyes widen when she sees that the room is completely trashed, her furniture was either shattered or had been burnt to a crisp. Every window had the glass blown off of the hinges and whatever the contraption was, was laying in the middle of the room......right inside the broken coffee table.

"Sam?" Dean hisses while pulling out his gun. "What's going on?!"

"It....it's them," Sam whispers as her eyes stare at the symbol on the side of the contraption.

"What's them? Who?!"

"Hydra."