ƈɦǟքȶɛʀ 2 - քʀօքօֆǟʟ

(A/n) - So far I am quite happy writing this story, it is fun to manipulate characters in different ways. This story is a nice way to restart I find and it is simple to write now that I have a plan in place. But gosh is it difficult to work with all the titles and prefixes of old, please correct me if you find something wrong with them. Now, I hope you all enjoy this chapter...

~~~

This was the first time I had seen Kirkland without a mask covering his face, his blue eyes seemed larger now and I could finally take note of the freckles around them and on his nose. He looked to be a very innocent young man and I felt fortunate to be engaged with him. As always an enjoyable smile was on his face, rather than wearing the formal clothes I had met him in he dawned a simple black suit, a beaver hat discarded beside him.

"I find it ironic that we have only met each other twice, however find ourselves engaged already.", he let a pleasant chuckle pass his lips, pausing only to nip at his cup of tea.

I nodded, joining him in laughter, "However peculiar it may be, I am glad to have been matched with you Earl Kirkland."

The blue eyed man set his teacup down, "Please, just call me Oliver. We are getting married and it would be for the best if we are comfortable with each other." he explained sincerity clear in his voice. He stared at his teacup for a moment, "May I call you (Y/n)?", he questioned carefully, his smile gone for a moment.

Setting my own beverage down I nodded with a smile of my own, "Of course, Oliver.", I tested his name in my mouth, the way it rolled off my tongue so easily made me beam with joy.

Glancing at me Oliver's expression returned to one of glee quickly, "Well then, to celebrate our first official meeting, I propose we go outside to watch the sunset.", he stood up and his sudden bubbly tone and action sent me flinching back. Oliver looked back at me sheepishly, "I didn't mean to frighten you, I apologize.", offering me his arm I was hoisted up and we began making our way outside, not before Oliver placed his hat on his head.

The early evening sky shone overhead, pink clouds began to cover the still blue sky, before us the sun began slowly descending towards the ocean. The costal town was peaceful, most townsfolk having retreated into their homes. Judging by the direction we were walking in, Oliver was taking me to the docks to watch the sunset.

I was happily walking next to my fiancee, our arms intertwined as he carefully guided me onto the wooden planks of the pier. (For one reason or another, just work with me here) A wooden bench sat near one side and both he and I sat down. It was a rather unusual place to be, especially at this time of day, but I took no mind of it simply glad to be beside Oliver.

"Say, what do you enjoy doing in your free time?", the blond questioned me, still watching the sun.

I thought for a moment, looking upwards at the sky, "I do enjoy drawing and painting, though I am far from perfect at it.", I told bashfully looking at my feet as I recalled my various artworks. Oliver opened his mouth, however I cut him off, "Though I don't believe one's interests should be ruled by talent, therefore I will continue to draw, despite my lack of aptitude.", I forced a determined look on my face. I turned to the blue eyed man, "What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?", I returned.

Oliver chuckled lightly, "I'm glad to find you with such a strong resolve. Though I do not often admit it, I am fond of baking, specifically pastries.", his cheeks grew slightly darker and he turned away.

I smiled gently at him, "Perhaps you would allow me to taste one of your creations?", my encouragement seemed to reach him and he turned back to me with a hopeful glance.

"Only, if I may see one of your artworks.", he told with a mischievous glint in his eye. He sighed contently when I nodded and leaned back, closing his eyes briefly. "I'm sure they are a marvelous sight to see.", he mumbled, though I did not quite understand what he had said.

"Pardon?", Oliver shook his head in reply, gesturing that it was 'nothing'. The sun was halfway submerged below the water and soon all of the light would be swallowed by the night (Hey that rhymed XD). I tapped the blond's shoulder, "I believe we should be going back now, before it turns night.", Oliver opened his eyes and nodded, once again offering his arm and escorting me off of the port.

We had reached the midpoint of our journey back when a drunkard had sauntered his way out of the nearby pub. He walked unsteadily and looked as though he were about to fall over on his side, however despite is obvious intoxication he made his way towards us, albeit slowly. I looked to Oliver, who watched the man with amusement flickering in his eyes. The man fell forward, however before he could collide with him, Oliver skillfully maneuvered both him and I to the side. A heavy thump, signified that the inebriated male had fallen over, we turned around just in time to see that he stood up again. He swiveled around gauchely and with sudden momentum managed to latch himself onto my arm.

I squeaked at the forceful grip, "It's not very wise to be walking around at this hour.", the man slurred, a lecherous grin on his face.

Oliver now glared at the man, "If you would please let the lady go, we can simply be off on our separate ways.", I saw the blond clench one of his hands into a fist.

The drunk man laughed, his grip tightening around my arm, I flinched and tugged at it. I turned to send a pleading look at Oliver however was shocked to find that his pastel blue eyes had begun to swirl with a gentle pink I had never seen before. His glare intensified and I myself grew frighted of the hatred behind his glance, the spirals of rose felt hypnotizing to me and I had to force myself to look elsewhere.

"I believed I asked you to unhand her, I'd advise you do as I say.", Oliver's eyes narrowed and with fear evident in his eyes the drunkard stepped back releasing me in the process. Before I could question anything, Oliver closed his eyes and smiled, "See that wasn't too hard was it?", he questioned gingerly and lead me back to the mansion.

We stood in the garden of my home, Oliver behaved as though nothing had happened and now stared up at the moon. I still couldn't shake the unsettling feeling off from when I had seen the malice in the blond's blue-pink eyes. Another mystery I had to figure out, why had I never noticed the lines of blush in my partner's eyes, had they always been there, how had I not seen them?

"Oliver, your eyes... have they always held that tint of pink in them?", I questioned.

Oliver looked back at me, his eyes closed and a wide smile still painted onto his visage, "What ever do you mean?", he returned, fully turning himself around to me. Before I could reply he offered his hand, "May I have this dance, for old sakes time?", I could hardly refuse and placed my hand in his. Whilst we danced under the moon, I could not see my father watching through the window, a satisfied grin on his face, he had not expected us to match so well, how practical it was for him. Our silent dance ended and Oliver dropped to his knee before me, he revealed a ring, "Lady (Y/n) (L/n), will you do me the honour and become my wife?"

I brought a hand to my mouth in shock, I had not expected for him to propose as our marriage had already been set in stone, "Of course...", I replied dazedly.

I hardly felt the ring being slipped onto my finger, or Oliver's gentle hands around my own, the only question remaining in my mind was if Oliver truly loved me, or was I simply forced upon him by his father and social standards.

"Oliver?", he nodded, "Is this what you truly want?", I couldn't stop myself from asking the question burning in the back of my mind. The blond man turned to look at me with a confused mien, "Do you love me?" I clarified.

He paused for a moment, I looked down at our intertwined hands, before returning my stare back at his face,

"I believe in growing to love someone..."

~~~ 1436 words & 4.3 pages ~~~