Chapter 1

I was going to class when it happened, peacefully walking the halls. No one wanted to associate with the new girl, so I was silent and alone.
A blinding flash rang through the halls, I dropped my books to cover my eyes. A figure in the light, feminine, a hand reached out, headed to my face, rising slowly from her side.
No, not again. I can't do this again.
Her hand reached my face and my thoughts were replaced, screaming, with white noise. Shrieking, i couldn't think hear or see or think. I would say 'and then everything went black' but it didn't. Because then everything went white, blank and empty.
At least thats what I saw, everyone else saw the lights flicker a little brighter, and then i dropped everything, screamed and collapsed.
You may ask 'how do you know what everyone else saw?' Well my friend, i have news! When i came to, i was in the nurses office, who wasn't even there, by the way, and the security footage from the hallway was on; black and white, and incredibly grainy.
One person sat in front of the ancient TV; a man, hunched over, wearing cargo pants, combat boots(but like, real ones), and a canvas jacket in a sort of olive green color. His hair was the typical short sides, long top, but its been a while since his last trip to the barbers, that's for sure. When he turned around to look at me when he heard me stir, i nearly passed out again. Because this man, this fucking guy, is the one who fucked it up exponentially. This fucker made a big mistake thinking he could just walk back into my life like this.
"Damian, you fucking two faced, little piece of-"
"Shhhh calm down, I'm not actually here; just in your head."
"Thats even worse!" I shrieked "you little parasite!! Attaching yourself like that!"
"Well its not that simple, -"
But he paused when the nurse came bustling in saying, "whats going on in here? Pipe down!"
The nurse looked around and a look of confusion crosses his face as he realized no one else was in the room with me.
"Who were you talking to?"
"Um, schizophrenia. Yeah uh my absentee
father showed up."
"Ok cool um you can go now, but uh you've been out for four hours so uh if you want to skip, today, you're excused."
So I left.
No way am I staying at school when Damian the Dickhead shows up inside my head.
"Your absentee father? Nice," Damian piped up from behind me.
"Well you didn't have any brilliant ideas, now did you?"
Damian laughed "Well I wasn't in need of any,"
What a pathetic excuse.
The bell rang and the halls filled with glazed eyed students; their brains dead from boredom and stupidity. Among them, I walked. Towards the exit, rather than a class. Skipping so early in the year is not usually my style, but I'm excused, so showing up to class would be way too goody two shoes for me.
Damian trailed a couple steps behind me, always on my heels. Even if he wandered farther, he'd still be parasitically attached to me like a bloodsucking leech. I would love to stare him in his crazy eyes and tell him to get out and fuck off; but he's here for a reason, he has to be.
Did I ever mention his purple eyes by the way? Rich purple, the way some people have eyes so brown its nearly black. These eyes against his pale skin that had been sunburnt enough times to change the shade, and his tar black hair, there was an unnatural contrast. The stubble that isn't usually there keeps it from being too jarring, like it usually is. This probably stems from his ridiculous lineage. I won't tell now but its totally fucked.
When I got to my apartment, I looked at him and said "spill," so he did.
His pathetic ass told me how things have been since I left. Chaos, basically.
"Your absence has caused the five factions to be at war again, and the Elders doubt they can find a solution. It's like nothing they've ever seen before. Em, it's crazy. You need to come back, you can fix this, you can balance the factions."
"First of all, dont call me Em. Second of all, I made my choice Damian, I dont want to deal with all this anymore. I left. I'm out."
"You know as well as I do that no one gets out. If I dont bring you back, someone else will."
"Let them try. Let them come for me. I'll be here, waiting. Goodbye, Damian."
And with those words I forced Damian's soul from mine and cast him into the abyss. Maybe he wont make it back to his body, I thought to myself. But he will. He's experienced in astral projection. He's done a lot of 'soul searching', as people like to call it, just for the irony.  I've done a bit as well, but still far less than Damian. So, of course, I passed out again.