Chapter 22: Of Selfish and Cute things...

Start bij het begin

The drowsing deer were caught by surprise, freezing in place long enough for Kat to finish closing the distance between them and to prepare to leap onto a back of an old doe.

Just as she was about to spring strong arms wrapped about her neck, flipping her onto her back, and pinning her to the ground. She hissed and swatted at her attacker making contact with flesh, and yet the pressure on her neck persisted.

“Kat, it’s me.” Sebastian? She instantly stopped struggling and looked up, her eyes finally adjusted to looking up at the moonlight. It was Sebastian.

Twisted her head to the side she rolled onto her feet, “What are you doing here? It’s not safe to be around me.”

“I believe that is my decision to make, and plus the Earl is looking for you.”

“I’m not going back, I’m not about to hurt someone…else.” She added, the scent of blood reaching her nose.

“That’s not up to you.”

The fur on her back stood on end, “Oh, and how isn’t it? You guys are my friends, almost like my family, if I…you’re irreplaceable and I couldn’t take it if something happened to one of you.”

Sebastian frowned, “Don’t you think that should be out choice as well? Or do you believe us that weak, as to not be able to protect ourselves?”

“That’s not what I meant.”

“That’s what it sounds like,” he persisted, “Kat, why don’t you at least think about coming back, at least for a little while?”

“Why should I?” She sat down with her back to him, tail twitching with irritation.

“Because it would not be the same without you there, and Pluto would never be bathed again, you know how terrible I am at it.” He sat down next to her, “If you are simply afraid of hurting one of us, you shouldn’t be, I know you have more self-control than that, earlier when you attacked me I provoked you, I should have known better than to lie to you.”

She looked at him with surprise, “You lied?”

He nodded, “Yes, I did. When I said it had nothing to do with you, it actually has everything to do with you. As you know I have a certain…fondness for cats and I couldn’t help but think that you were very cute.”

Cute? If she hadn’t been covered in fur Kat had a feeling she would have been beet red. When had she ever been called cute by anyone other than Rhose? And that was only a father-daughter kind of cute. “I’m still not sure.”

“Well think on it a little more, the Earl isn’t expecting us back for a while yet. I told him I had to convince you to come back; he seems to know how stubborn you can be.”

________________________________________________________

Kat was curled up beside Sebastian, her head resting on his knee. While she thought she allowed him to scratch her gently behind the ears. A little earlier her sides had started to rumble, startling him until he realized it was her purring.

While she was preoccupied he studies her feline profile, she really was cute as a cat, but what had prompted him to say that to her face? Was it really only because he liked cats that he had said it?

Or was it something else, if it was, what could it be?

There was something about her that was different from anyone he had ever met. She was an interesting human at the least and an extraordinary woman at the most, there were things she did that most female demons would hesitate to do.

“Sebastian?” She looked back him without lifting her head.

“Hmm?”

“I think I will go back, it might be selfish of me, but I really never wanted to leave to begin with.”

Maybe that was why, she fascinated him. That had to be the reason he liked her so much, she was interesting person, she thought of others constantly, only thinking of herself in the barest degree. He had never met another human like her, even the human nuns and priests, who professed to only wanting to take care of man’s immortal soul, had more than their fair share of human baseness.

They all wanted things, they all wanted people to listen to them, to give them some sort of power, even if it was for a greater power.

Kat was perfectly content being with people; she listened, acted, and thought of others always before herself. He couldn’t recall her ever doing anything frivolous and utterly selfish, no matter what she might say. “Very good then, shall we go home?”

She gave him a toothy cat smile, “Yes.”

_________________________________________________________________

Thanks to everyone who's reading! Sorry I havent posted in a while I've been busy, Drama Play in TWO WEEKS! But back to the story, Next Chapter: Lets just say a character is finally making a reappearance...

Thanks for reading again!

-Shadowquill