The Things I See

Começar do início

I lay in bed at about 10:30pm. I had lied to Noah this morning. I told him I slept well, when I honestly didn't sleep at all. I was too worried about Ryan. I was too scared I would have nightmares of my mother's suicide. I didn't really feel safe or comfortable being in a large room, in a house that I don't normally live in.

But I was tired. I hadn't slept since the accident and I was desperate for some sleep. Nothing bad could really happen right? I let out a sigh and closed my eyes. I needed some sleep. I had a big day or work ahead of me tomorrow and I cant afford getting sleepy or tired. A few seconds later I was asleep, nothing to hear but the sound of my soft breath.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 I was alone in the hospital hallways and they were all empty. I looked around for anything. A person. A café. A door. I listened for an sound, but there was nothing to be heard. I ran down the hallways frightened. I didn't know why I was scared. I just had a feeling in my gut that told me that something bad was gonna happen.

I heard noises. Little soft whispers calling my name. Chanting it in a steady pace. I panted and tried speeding up my pace. My heart was pounding . The voices were just getting louder and louder the faster I ran. I fell to the floor and placed my hands on my head, tears running down my cheeks. It was so loud, my ears felt like they were going to burst.

"Stop! Please! It hurts please! Make it stop!" I cried.

I gripped onto my ears tightly, but the sound wouldn't go away. It just kept getting louder and louder no matter how much I tried to block I out. I got up and kept running, trying to escape the voices. Just then silence filled the place. My ears were bleeding from how loud it was. I panted and dropped to the floor, trying to recover.

I heard a voice calling me. But it was a different voice this time. It was Ryan's voice. He was calling me. I stood up and looked around. There were no door or windows. I pressed my ear against the wall and listened. It was coming from the other side of the wall. There was no way I could get there.

"Ryan! Ryan I'm coming!" I called.

"Peyton?! Where are you?!" he yelled.

"Right here Ryan! Hold on...I'll be right there!" I sobbed.

I looked at the wall and found a small whole in it. I jammed my fingers into it and tore it more open with all my might. Suddenly the shape of a door was appearing. I broke it even more until I managed to grab the door handle and open it. I walked in an looked around. The room was empty, and Ryan wasn't here.

Just then the door slammed shut. I gasped and grabbed onto the handle but it was locked. The voice came again, making me feel frightened. I looked around and my breathing sped up. They weren't chanting my name. They were chanting my mother's. I clenched my teeth and let out an overwhelmed sob.

"Martha...Martha...Martha..." the voice said.

I blocked my ears again. I didn't want to hear that name. It was haunting me wherever I went. I shut my eyes real tight and held my breath, trying to stop myself from bursting. The name kept getting repeated, making me break down deep inside.

"Martha! Martha! Martha!" it chanted.

"Stop!" I cried.

"MARTHA! MARTHA! MARTHA!" it kept saying.

"Martha is dead!" I finally shouted.

Then it stopped. It was all quiet once again. I opened my eyes, and the room wasn't empty anymore. It's like it all changed. There was a hospital bed, with Ryan laying down in it. I looked at him quietly and smiled. He was okay. I was with him now. I held onto his hand gently and stroked it with my thumb.

"Peyton," a voice said.

I turned around, and there she was. My nightmare. My mother. Her hair was messy and her face was pale. She had a deep cut in her neck, and blood all over her chest. I backed away from her, fear rising in me as she got closer to me. She stopped near Ryan's bed and looked at me with her eyebrows raised. My heart jumped as she grabbed onto his throat tightly.

"RYAN!" I exclaimed.

She tightened her grip around his neck, chocking him. He opened his eyes and gasped for breath, trying to push her away. She looked at me and tilted her head slightly, making me feel even worse. I took a step forward before my mother pushed me back. I stumbled backwards and fell on my back. I sat up and looked at her desperately.

"Let go of him!" I begged.

"He's next Peyton...he's next..." she whispered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up screaming as loud as I possibly could. She was killing him! She was killing Ryan. My heart pounded in my throat and my head was spinning in circles. A few seconds later I felt two hands wrap around me tightly.

"Let go of me!" I cried.

"Peyton...it's okay. It's just me," the voice said calmly.

"N-noah?" I questioned.

He squeezed me tightly, pulling me into a comforting hug. I leaned my forehead against his shoulder, wrapping my arms around him too. He let out a sigh and wiped my tears for me.

"I've got you Peyton..." he whispered "I've got you..."