Chapter 1

"What is this?!" I threw the file at Pamela, who was almost trembling at the opposite side of the table. I glared at her intently, hoping to get an answer, but damn, the woman was not even looking at me. "I... Umm.. Ma'am I..." she mumbled, keeping her head down. I grew utterly impatient and felt my head fuming with anger. "What is this?!" I repeated, this time so loud that she flinched and met my eyes. I traced a hint of moisture in her eyes, but didn't pay any heed to it. I waited again, and this time, sensing my annoyance, Pamela picked up the file which was lying on the floor and put it on the table. "I am sorry Ma'am, I didn't notice that, I didn't see... I mean I mistook the 0s to be 8s and.. I am really sorry Ma'am, I won't repeat this mistake again", she continuously apologized, until it became rather irritating and I found the urge to stop it. I motioned her to stop and glaring at her fear-struck eyes leaned in, " Do you realise that this stupid mistake could have cost both of us a heavy price? Thank the Lord that I always double check the files! Or else what would have happened could have cost us our lives!". She said nothing but sniffed. My irritation increased, " And stop crying now!" I scolded. The sniffled cry became a sob and tears flowed down her cheeks. " Oh God! Stop crying I said!".

Great! Now I was the bad guy. Actually, girl, I was the bad girl now! I sighed and attempted to calm her down, " Stop crying okay, don't be such a child", I handed her a tissue, "Now freshen yourself and make the corrections." She took the tissue from my hand, and maybe realising my tone to be softer than before, stopped crying. She stared at me while wiping her nose and cheeks clean. Feeling uneasy at her scrutinizing stare, I toughened myself again, "Look here Pamela, since you have committed a grave mistake, you deserve a punishment..."   I trailed off deliberately to check her expression. Just as I thought, Pamela grew pale hearing the word 'punishment', and her scrutinizing stare turned fear- struck,  ".... so, you have to rectify all the mistakes and bring the file to me in one and a half hour. This is your punishment", I pointed a finger at her and shook it to give weight to my words.
Pamela stood there like a stone, as if trying to process my words. When I gave her one of my cold glare, she stuttered, "T- That's it? I mean, just this punishment?"  I threw a questioning look,  "Did you not hear what I said? I asked you to complete the file in only one and a half hours.." I repeated myself again, wondering whether she's lost her mind. This time it struck her completely, "O - One and a half hours only?! Ma'am, the file took three hours to complete. How can I finish it in half the time Ma'am?" She looked at me with pleading eyes, but I gave her a blank look, " That's why it's called punishment. And anyways, it won't be a problem since you're familiar to the content of the file. Now go and start working, because your time starts..."  I looked at my watch and then at her, ".. Now!". She stared at me, disbelief clear in her eyes, and when she found me absolutely serious, picked up the file and turned away. I sighed, and looked down at the work I was doing.

"Excuse me Ma'am.." I looked up and saw Pamela standing in front of me.     I frowned.

" What is it now? "

" Ma'am may I ask you something? " She looked confused and her eyes were scrutinizing mine, as if trying to find something there. I immediately looked away.

" Ask fast and leave "

" Why didn't you fire me as a punishment for my mistake Ma'am? "

I was surprised and amused at the same time, "Do you want me to? "

" No! No, I mean I know that bosses often fire their employees when they commit grave mistakes as mine. You could have punished me that way, but you didn't. Why Ma'am? "

I sighed," It's not in my power of authority to fire you Pamela. I can only recommend your dismissal to my boss, the C.E.O. And anyways, I don't really prefer the job of snatching people's employment. "

Pamela nodded and smiled. I gave her a blank look in return. She stood there watching me and it really irritated me to a whole new level.

"You just wasted 10 minutes from your deadline, Miss Pamela." I told her flatly.

"Yes M- Ma'am, sorry Ma'am." She ran immediately towards her office.

I finally heaved a sigh of relief.

As I sat there checking other files, I pondered over Pamela's question.. Why? Why didn't I fire her? I knew why. 
Because...

Because I couldn't snatch something from others which I myself earned with great difficulties.

Because I was habituated to this meek, gentle, innocent girl who was my secretary.

And.... And....

And I'm still not the one I try to be....

A. N :Hey guys, I don't know if anyone's gonna read it or not, but I really tried hard to make it interesting. I hope you like it, if not then I apologize, but please don't bash me :-P. I will be moving on to the next chapter as soon as possible. And the picture above is the office room of Sonali, our female protagonist. :-)