Someone Who Shirks Such Little Self-Restraint

Jump Into the Fog

Chapter 5

"What a great achievement it was to find someone who shirks such little self-restraint."

-

With Elsa working on a proposal allowing more manufacture of winter clothing, Hans approached one of the meeting rooms, scroll in hand, to confront the Duke of Weselton.

Hans rather hated that little weasel—he'd only done what he could to really get on his nerves. And there really was no reason Arendelle even needed Weselton as a trading partner; Elsa wasn't one to easily forgive the Duke who singlehandedly instilled fear into her people over her powers.

After much discussion with Elsa, the two came up with a proper dismissal. And Hans couldn't be happier that Elsa really trusted him in royal affairs; the title of king was as good as his.

Now, Hans wasn't outright greedy or malicious. Like all humans, he had his limits, though—and he wasn't afraid to play dirty if those limits were reached. Such as when Anna stupidly threw herself at Hans. He couldn't stand such naïve people. Life wasn't a place of sunshine and happiness; life had consequences, and the best way he could be happy, he knew, was by being the best.

And in this life in Arendelle, he definitely didn't want that little weasel anywhere near the kingdom he was about to rule.

There the Duke was, with his two goons hovering over him as usual. Keeping a calm face, Hans unrolled the scroll Elsa herself had quilled and signed. "Gentlemen, thank you for joining me today," he said politely, placing the scroll on the table for all to read.

The Duke's eyes scanned over the scroll, his priggish mustache frowning along with his mouth. "How dare you…!" he cried, slamming one of his fists on the table.

"Queen's orders," Hans deadpanned, his hands clasped behind his back. "Her seal makes it official. She wants you out of Arendelle, and she does not wish to open up trading routes with Weselton." Watching the Duke break down like this was absolutely divine. Hans had a hard time suppressing the smirk that wanted to emerge.

"B-but you just can't do that…!" The Duke was still in denial. "You don't rule Arendelle! You can't get away with this!" His face turned red in anger, and Hans had to dig his nails into his palm just to keep the straight face he wore.

"On the contrary, this is the Queen's decree. I have nothing to do with her final decision in the matter." Not entirely true, but the Duke didn't need to know that.

"Your Highness, permit my rudeness, but you've taken quite an interest in that monster," the Duke spat. "Why the sudden change from the Prince willing to lock her up and put her life on the line?"

Why that little—Hans felt tempted to punch him square in the jaw. "The Queen is no monster; she is just misled," he replied through gritted teeth. "I have noticed the error of my ways, and I will do whatever it takes in my power to protect her from dignitaries that plan to exploit Arendelle's riches."

"You're attracted to her," the Duke challenged, slitting his eyes. "Do you really think that will earn you a good reputation after your marriage to Princess Anna?"

"I vow to stay by the Queen's side," Hans countered. "Now I suggest you leave Arendelle before I myself travel to Weselton and tell your king and queen of your greed to abuse this great kingdom."

"My greed or your own, Your Highness?" The Duke smirked.

"How dare you—" Hans had reached his limit, his sword unsheathed. After a moment, he cleared his throat, then covered it again. "The Queen has ordered you out. I suggest you leave before the Captain of the Guard does it himself." He turned quickly on his heel, heading to the door.