Meet Gabrielle: The Curious

            Gabi, Mori, and Hani arrived at the Morinozuka’s house fifteen minutes later. The other two walked on into the grounds as if all was normal, while Gabrielle was staring, open-mouthed in shock at the mansion in front of her. She had forgotten just how big rich people’s houses could be.

 It was at least three stories and stretched out across acres and acres of greenery. There was a bridge connecting one mansion with another, and in between the two oversized houses was what looked to be like some sort of dojo. As Mori and Hani reached the point in the driveway where it split in two, they turned around to look at Gabi. She was still staring from one house to the other and back again.

“G-guys? Y-you live here?”

Both boys nodded and looked at their friend in concern. She was pale and shaking slightly, eyes unfocused and glazed over.

“Gabi-chan? Are you okay?”

 Gabrielle shook her head to rid it of her daydream and jogged to catch up with the pair.

“I’m fine! Thanks, Mitskuni!” She turned to Mori, “Which one is yours?”

He nodded his head in the direction of the left house, before bending his knees and letting Hani slide off his back.

“See ya later Takashi! Bye-bye Gabi-chan!” The Haninozuka waved cheerfully at his cousin and friend and skipped off to his home. Now impatient, Gabi grabbed Mori by the arm and dragged him towards the huge, marble doors.

“C’mon!” Mori was able to keep up easily as she yanked open the door and rushed into the mansion, spinning around in a circle, gaping at the interior.

“This is absolutely gorgeous, Takashi! Why didn’t you ever tell me you were, well, rich!?”

“I thought you would treat me differently if you knew. Are you angry?”

Gabi let out a loud laugh and spun around one more time, arms opened.

“Angry? No. Just surprised. Your house is amazing! It’s so beautiful!”

“Why thank you.”  A voice to the right of the two startled the French girl so much that she tripped on her own feet and fell backwards on to the tile floor of the entrance hall.

The voice belonged to Mori’s mother, a beautiful woman with long, dark hair and a graceful air about her.

“I’m glad to hear that you like my decorating. Now, you must be Arianna. It’s so nice to finally meet you, sweetie!”

Gabi scrambled to get up from her uncomfortable position, and bowed low to the hostess.

“Thank you very much for having me in your home, Morinozuka-san. It’s-“

“Oh, please!” the woman laughed kindly, even as she cut the girl off,  “You don’t have to call me that! It makes me sound so old. Just call me Sumi-san!”

Gabi was taken aback, as was Mori, but she smiled anyway and shook Sumi’s hand.

“It’s wonderful to meet you, Sumi-san. Again, thank you for letting me stay here while I am in Japan. I hope I won’t be a nuisance while I’m here.”

Sumi was shocked. How could such an innocent little girl possibly be a nuisance!?

“Of course not, honey! Now, I’ll show you to your room. You must be exhausted.” She turned to her eldest son, “Takashi, could you please tell Satoshi that dinner will be ready soon? He’s in the dojo with Yasuchika.”