Chapter one

Hio wasn't always, blind, but a trip to his eye doctor's office changed everything.

His vision was never very good, ever since birth. He could make out colors and shapes, but even with glasses he couldn't see at 20 feet what a normal person would be able to see 400 feet away.

His mother, Ann, cried softly when Dr. Megurine whispered the word glaucoma, her voice tender as to break the news gently.

His father, Al, squeezed his hand tightly and repeatedly chanted it's gonna be okay son, it's gonna be alright, even though Hio himself wasn't worried.

His younger brother, Oliver, was only two at the time and was busy playing with building blocks in the waiting room.

Hio didn't feel that sad himself. But even then, at the young age of seven, he could tell that something was wrong.

And even though that was ten years ago, the feeling still haunted him to this day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sweetie! I brought tissues!" Sweet Ann chirped, letting herself into her sons room.

"Thanks mom." Hio grunted.

"I cant believe it! A cold in August! Your nose is so red! And, oh dear, the AC is on 60! No wonder!" Sweet Ann ranted.

Hio wasn't actually sick. His red nose? Applied by Maika of course, using her makeup.

Hio didn't want to go to school. He knew that he would be the only senior who's blind, and he didn't want that to happen. Of course, he didn't plan on being 'sick' the whole school year, just for half the week.

He was the only High School kid who carried a walking stick and a purse wherever he went. No one treated him normally. Well, except for his best friend Maika. They were friends since kindergarten, she was sort of like his body guard. Even though she was super annoying. But Maika was, well, Maika.

His phone rang.

'Probably Maika' Hio thought.

"Mom, can you hand my phone to me?" Hio asked.

"Of course sweetheart!" Ann chirped, handing him his phone.

"Hello?"

"I change my mind. You have to come to school, I'll look like a loner at recess. I have no friends. Well, except for Clara. And Ruby. And Lily. And Miku."

Hio groaned in frustration.

"Well, cant you just hang out with them?"

"Yeah, but their weirdos! Your cool, unlike them!" Maika protested.

Hio sighed.

"..Fine." Hio gave in.

"Yay! Your my best friend ever! Your so aweso-"

Hio hang up.

"Mom? I change my mind. I want to go to school."

Ann hesitated. "Are you sure sweetie? Your cold might bother you. I don't want you to be at school when you should be resting."

"Im fine mom." Hio reassured.

"Okay sweetheart." Ann sighed.

Hio sighed in relief.

"Mom, can you get some clothes for me? Nothing too fancy." Hio asked.

"Okay sweetie. Are jeans and a T-shirt fine?" Ann asked.