Chapter 37 - Between Brothers

Start from the beginning

Francis turned to face me, startled at my presence. A lot embarrassed and a little too loudly, he asked, "Ice? How did you get in here?"

Robyn stirred and we both looked at her direction. I wanted to go and leave Francis to deal with his... fantasy, but he grabbed my arm, a panicky look on his face. Robyn was now fully awake in her dream and was staring at us. She was clutching the sheet to her chest, possibly aware that she was bare beneath it.

Robyn looked confused then she said, "Ice? Why am I dreaming about you?"

Francis' grip on my arm tightened and I expected I'd see claw marks later. One second, he was scowling at me in Robyn's room, the next second he was scowling at me in our palace rec room.

I hadn't been in this chamber for decades.

It was not the typical games room although it had various toys from medieval torture devices to the latest video game consoles. Markus' collection of expensive bottled spirits lined one wall. Huge monitors filled the other three walls. The screens displayed every story, book or movie published and produced that was inspired by the creators' dreams. I would confess this fed our ego.

The best part of this room was that it was situated next to the dungeon and Mother never ventured here. She could not stand the wailing of prisoners.

"How did you do that?" Francis grilled me. He was yet to let go of my arm. "Only Mom and Dad could access and control our dreams. Morpheus and I managed to return to our dreams long before you found your tunnels, but we could never enter each other's reveries."

"Wait," I asked as I yanked my arm from Francis' grip. "You mean you've been able to access your dreams over a decade ago?"

"Yes. We just didn't tell you because we didn't want you to feel bad. But that's not important," Francis answered. "How did you enter my dream? We cannot do that. Zeus knows how many times Morpheus has attempted to infiltrate yours."

I frowned at that. "He did enter once. He saw me in my ghastly form."

Francis thought about what I said. Then he brightened up and explained, "That wasn't your dream. That was Selene's."

I paled at the mention of her name. How long had I been in our realm? I needed to get to her soon.

Francis noticed my expression. "Something's wrong. It's bad, isn't it?"

My wings drooped. "I'm afraid so."

"Wait. Let me call me Morpheus."

"No," I said. I could not afford to waste more time and I didn't have the patience to deal with Markus' self-importance.

"Markus! Morpheus!" Francis yelled through a hole in the wall. It was our modified intercom that we used to communicate across dreams and realms. Francis grimaced at the lack of response from our eldest brother. He grumbled at what he had to do next. "Ugh. Morpheus, the most gifted of Nyx's sons, we humbly request an audience with you."

Instantaneously, the door opened and in strolled Markus in his signature Armani suit.

"What is it, young Phantasos? I was having the most pleasurable time weaving a dream for Vivienne. Did you know the barrister has a thing for both men and women? I was thinking of linking her dream to Yvonne's and I, of course, would be the bridge."

"I do not have the time for this," I snapped as I made my way to the door.

Markus wore the same comical look Francis did earlier. He was stunned. Then he smirked and said, "What a pleasant surprise seeing you here, Icelus."