Chapter 1 - We're Not Killing Her

Zombie Wolf: The Next Generation #1 by Ally Thomas

Copyright 2013 Ally Thomas | All Rights Reserved | Cover Design by Ally Thomas

### The following introduction and short story (included in Chapter 1) were originally published in the zombie anthology, Darlings of Decay. You can read the complete book here at Wattpad - http://www.wattpad.com/22897222-darlings-of-decay ###

Chapter 1 - We're Not Killing Her 

3015 A.D. 

"We're not killing her." I stood between my team and this girl I had just saved from an existence worse than death. The coffee shop was demolished and we were knee-deep in dead ex-zombies. It had been a normal seek-and-destroy mission on Earth until this had happened. But I wasn't backing down, not until I knew who she was, and more importantly why did she have the same mark I had been born with. She was a werewolf too, or at least I was determined to find out what she was before she died. 

"Call it in," I growled to Rex. 

"No," he shouted at me, knowing better than to mess with me as he pushed against the other two guys on my team who held him back. Zombie Wolf was not just a nickname I had gotten for being a werewolf who had killed massive amounts of zombies over the twenty-four years of my life. It was part of my blood. Literally. I couldn't be killed by them and I couldn't be infected. 

"Maybe we can talk about this," McCormick offered. 

Simon nodded, tugging on Rex's dark green shirt. Neither of them moved forward one inch. They all had seen my transformation a time or two before, when the fighting got really bad. I had saved all of them more times than I could count. But Rex was the asshole of my team, and the Earth representative. I regretted having made him my point of contact when I visited Earth. I had never used my weapons on any of them, but that could change very quickly. 

"Call it in," I repeated. Slowly and very deliberately, I popped my neck. My eyes flashed gold. I held one hand on the girl's shirt, trying to keep her still. 

Exasperated, Rex conceded to my command and placed his index and middle fingers to his right temple. "This is a mistake." He mouthed back to me as he made the connection with the Containment facility on our planet. With our implants installed soon after we were born, cell phones weren't needed for work. They weren't really needed at all in the year 3015 A.D., but we still had them for personal use because it looked cool. Unnecessary, but cool. And for jobs like this one on Earth, we had to blend in as best we could until the zombie killing started. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw McCormick hit Simon in the shoulder. "Look man." 

"What?" Simon asked. 

"She has the same mark Z has. Look." 

I ignored that they were now staring at my neck and the girl's neck. I knew she had the same birthmark. That had to mean something. Was she like me? Was she truly like me? 

I heard Rex verify the location and coordinates. The room immediately filled with a blue mist that I knew would do two things: clean up the zombie mess and make a big enough distraction for me to vanish. I grabbed the girl by the elbow, probably rougher than I should have, and pulled her into my arms. She fit perfectly against my body. I sighed. Wouldn't you know it? I'd meet my mate and she was dead, or soon to be dead? No one could survive the new virus I had been getting reports about. Luckily, I already had it. I had been born with it. No blood virus affected me. I was immune to everything. That's what made me 'unique' as my mother phrased it.