I darted a glance over my shoulder.

Alexander Banks is in my kitchen.

It was going to take some getting used to.

The sleeves of his white shirt were rolled up, and his long legs were stretched out in front of him, hugged by old-fashioned brown trousers. He was beautiful, more so than I had ever imagined. I tried to put the thought out of my head. Fantasizing about a fictional guy was one thing: fantasizing about him when he was sitting a few feet away was another. He'd quickly figure me out if I kept staring at him this way.

When the eggs were done, I divided them onto two plates, placing one in front of him.

"Thank you. It is very kind of you."

"You're welcome." I knew he'd probably feel obligated to ask me to join him, but I didn't want to stop him from reading, so I said, "I'm going to eat in the other room so you can read." Before he could argue, I went into the living room.

Sitting down on the couch, I turned on a local station. A puffy-eyed reporter was at a crime scene. Yellow tape blocked off a park behind him. "Two teenage boys were found dead on a basketball court in Archer Park, apparently with teeth-marks on their necks. The police are being tight-lipped about this, Jane, but I think they're flabbergasted. We've never seen anything like it."

Oh, God.

I put my face in my hands. This couldn't really be happening, could it? Vigo on a rampage in my city?

And I'd almost been his victim. My gut twisted. I bet he'd killed those poor guys after Alexander had foiled his attack on me.

I hadn't called the police last night. Maybe I should have. Would they have put out some sort of notice? Would it have stopped two teenage guys from playing late-night basketball?

The couch dipped beside me as Alexander sat down, his dark gaze riveted on the TV. "Is this happening at the present time?"

I nodded.

I saw the knife-thin crease between his brows as he listened to the news of the murders. If I'd had any doubt that Alexander was who he said he was, or that my attacker last night had been Vigo, I didn't anymore.

Alexander had been so close to catching Vigo at the end of The Mists that he'd had readers jumping out of their seats. But would he be able to get that close to him again in a city he didn't know?

"I am going to need excellent maps of the city," Alexander said, his eyes not straying from the TV. "Schematics of underground tunnels and sewer systems are essential."

"Don't you think you should take a couple of days to get to know the city?" I asked. "If you don't know your way around, it could work against you."

"Vigo doesn't know the city, either. He would not have his usual hiding places, nor the protection of his coven." He took a breath. "This could be the chance I've been waiting for."

Alexander had a point. And though I was afraid for his safety, I was also afraid for everyone else in this city. They didn't know there was a real vampire around.

"I'll get you maps. And some clothes, too. So you won't attract attention."

"I appreciate your help and hospitality." Heturned to me, a chilling resolve in his eyes. "Let me assure you that I will do everything in my power to stop Vigo before he can cause more terror. I do not wish your world to become like mine."

Me neither.

An hour later, Alexander Banks walked into the mall wearing my Cubs jersey, his own trousers, and high leather boots. The odd fashion got him some stares, and I was eager to get him into other clothes. But the unusual getup didn't make him any less handsome, and I could tell that many of the stares were from intrigued females.