14: Regular Hero

Comincia dall'inizio

This was a joke. Christian wasn't even that bad of a guy. Either he really was a bit of a prick or he was trying to make a point...

His nose skimmed along my neck and I paused.

Or he really did like how I tasted. 

"If I say no?" I stuttered. 

"Then we don't speak today. You go back with your curiosity eating at you to know what screwed Florence up so badly."

Dammit, damn, damn him.

His scent crept up on me and I slumped my shoulders in defeat. What did I have to lose? 

Apart from my life?

"Fine." I whispered. "Just... don't mess up my t-shirt this time."

Christian chuckled. "I won't." And just like that he cupped my neck, pulled my body toward him and inserted only his fangs into base of my throat.

**  

I lost my footing and started to slip against the snow when his hand curled around my arm to stop me.

"I'm fine." I growled, yanking my arm away from him.

"You're a stubborn woman." He said under his breath.

"I'm more courteous to the men that don't bite me."

"Excuse me for being tempted." A small smile lit his face and I scowled.

I stuffed my hands in my coat pockets still expecting my phone to suddenly materialise. He'd taken it and hidden it as well as my purse and everything that identified who I was. For some reason he'd handed me my coat after dropping a few drops of his blood onto the side of an apple and making me take a bite the creative bastard. 

I didn't have a clue what he was planning by taking me out here. So I simply asked him.

"We're only taking a walk." He assured. "I'm not going to kill you, Evie."

"You're full of surprises, I could only assume." I quipped glaring and squinting at the bright white of my surroundings. 

As we walked I continued to slip and slide even in my boots and his hand would fly out to save me but stop midway. So once, maybe twice, I fell onto my butt. He'd found it amusing, to the point where he'd stifle his laughter and carry on but by the third time he grabbed my arm and sighed.

"Evangeline, you are useless."

"You're the regular hero aren't you?" I grumbled back not even bothering to push his hand away. "Enough of this though. Where are we walking to? It's below zero and if I die out here I won't spontaneously wake up like you would."

"I've brought you out here to talk. Being in cooped up in the house will only mark me as the intimidating story teller. I want you to feel more open as you ask me about Florence." He released my arm. "Come, sit here." We stopped in the midst of the trees and gestured toward a large boulder of a rock. I sat as directed and faced him. "Shall we start with what you saw?"

"I saw you both in a barn." I began.

"Yes, well. We'd met earlier that month."

"And you both fell in love quickly. When did you tell her what you were?"

"When I thought that I could spend the rest of eternity with her. She told me she loved me and I told her what I was. Thinking about it now after I'd asked her if she could ever love a monster, she couldn't confirm her love fast enough for a 'Creature of The Night.'" He laughed without an ounce of humour. "She was ready from day one to turn. I was naive."