Chapter 55

Brantley and Savannah arrive back in Tuscaloosa and Savannah helps unload the truck. She unlocks the door and goes in with her school bags and sets them down by the couch. Brantley brings in their luggage and takes it upstairs to her room. Savannah follows him up and starts unpacking her suitcase. She has moved some things in her room last week and starts unpacking his suitcase and putting his clothes in the drawer and hanging them up. Brantley comes up behind her and tells her that he can do that for her to go study for the exam she has tomorrow. Savannah looks at him and hugs him and let's him take over. She goes downstairs and sets up in her chair in the living room. She immersed herself in her school work not even noticing the passing of time and that Brantley has cooked until he sets a plate down beside her and she looks up. She checks her watch and sees that it is 9pm and says," I'm so sorry baby, please forgive me?"
Brantley looks at her questioning and said," sorry for what?" Savannah said," that you had to fix your own supper. I lost track of time when I got to studying and left you for hours and I'm sorry." Brantley pulls her up into his arms and kisses her softly on the lips," Darlin' you are working, being a student is your job right now. I know that and understand it. I'm just glad I'm here cause knowing you, it would have been severely more hours before you stopped and you wouldn't have eaten. I love taking care of you. That's my job right now. I want you to know that I love cooking for you although I am nowhere near a good a cook as you. I just want to take care of my wife. Besides I have been working too and you didn't even notice." Savannah looks to the couch and sees that his guitar and notebook are out, so he's been writing songs. She hugs him back and said," I don't know what I did to deserve you but I am so glad you are my husband!! Want to eat together?"
Brantley smiled and takes their plates to the table and sets them down. Mallory comes through and Brantley tells her to fix a plate and join them. She does and they start talking about the tour that will start at the end of Feb. Brantley asked Mallory if she would be joining Ben on the road some. She ducked her head and blushed and said, "I may it just depends on my class schedule and when I can get to see him. Then this summer I will be working again so I am not sure how much I will be able to meet up."
Brantley said," Just let Savannah know when you want to come and we will get you there girl even if she isn't planning on being there. You can still come out."
Mallory said,"thanks Brantley, and thank y'all for supper it was good but I will say goodnight cause work comes early."
Brantley and Savannah tell her goodnight and Savannah gets up to clean up and Brantley tells her to go back to studying he will clean it all up. Savannah does as he said and she works for a couple more hours. At 11:30pm she looks at Brantley and tells him she's heading to bed. He puts his stuff up and walks behind her up the stairs. Savannah washes her face and brushes her teeth and strips down to just one of his t'shirts. Brantley brushes his teeth and strips down before climbing in bed next to her. He pulls her close and kisses her on top of the head and tells her to get some rest. He listens as she falls off to sleep, her breathing getting softer and even. He is going to go shopping tomorrow while she is in class, he wants Christmas to be the best for all of them this year because they have had a rough year. He pulls her a little closer and tells God thank you for his wife before he drifts off to sleep.