eighteen- happy birthday, the two of you

Zacznij od początku

Tobie shook her head as she walked into the waiting room. "Damn. What a day."

;

They told Jamie once the baby was born. Everyone excluding Michael and Tracy were in the room with her, and the nurses told Jamie it would be a little bit until she could meet the baby, because they wanted to make sure neither would get sick.

On the way to Tracy's room, Luke stopped Tobie. Tobie was pretty surprised, considering Luke hadn't talked to anyone in a week. But he grabbed her hand, turned her around, and gave her a hug. "I'm sorry."

She hugged him back, shocked to have him in her arms again but more than excited. She missed him. "Luke? Why're you sorry?"

"It's your birthday, baby." He said. 

Tobie laughed. "Oh yeah."

"I'm sorry, Tobie." Luke said, stepping back. He held her at arm's length, and his eyes were red. He looked exhausted. A ghost of the Luke Hemmings Tobie knew he was. "I'm sorry that this is your birthday."

"Are you kidding? My niece or nephew's birthday is today. This is one of the best birthdays of my life."

"I have an idea on how to make it better. Can I try it?" Luke asked. Tobie noticed he stepped a little closer. 

"Sure." She said. 

Luke smiled, and she saw him. Not "my niece is dying" Luke Hemmings. But goofball, nerd, funny, Luke Robert Hemmings. She saw her best friend back.

And he kissed her.

To be completely honest, Tobie had imagined this before. Who wouldn't? She'd always wondered what it would've felt like, what scenario would have lead to him kissing her. It most certainly wasn't this. Not on her birthday, when Tracy was having a baby, and Jamie was dying in the hospital. But she supposed he was feeling better, because it single-handedly met all of her expectations. He held the back of her head, and her hands were around his neck. When he pulled away he rested his head on hers, and she opened her eyes, smiling. 

"Happy birthday, baby girl." He said. 

;

"You ready, Aunt Tobie?" Tracy asked. Tobie was blindfolded by Luke's hands, and she was about to meet either Alex or Tami. She didn't know whether the baby was a boy or a girl, but she was about to find out.

"Are you kidding? I've been waiting for ten months!" Tobie said. 

"Alright. Luke, let her go."

Luke dropped his hands away, and Tobie smiled. "Tami."

The blanket was pink, and Tracy had a smile on her face as big and bright as the sun. "A little girl."

"I can already tell she's precious." Tobie said. Giddy, she rocked on her feet. 

Tracy laughed. "You gonna hold her or what?"

Tobie smiled and walked over to the bed, holding her hands out. "Give me my niece."

Tracy laughed, and she held Tami out for Tobie. Tobie took her and cradled her again as Tracy had been doing, smiling down at her. "Hey, princess." 

Tami's eyes weren't open, but just by their shape Tobie knew they were Michael's. She had Tracy's cheeks and lips, but Mikey's button nose. She had a little pink beanie on her head that made Tobie think of Jamie, but she wasn't sad. She knew Jamie was going to love it. 

"Happy birthday, Tami." Tobie said, smiling. "You share it with one of the coolest people I know."

"That's not self centered." Tracy laughed. Tobie giggled, and Luke walked over behind her, one arm around her waist and the other gently on Tami's face. He rubbed the spot under her eye, which got Tami to squirm and open them a little, and Tobie laughed fondly. 

"So this is my niece." Luke said. 

"She's mine, too." Tobie said, turning to look up at him. He smiled down at her, shrugging.

"I'm the cooler uncle. Ashton and Calum got nothing on me."

"Well, I'm the coolest aunt." 

"You're the only aunt on my side." Tracy said. "I've got brothers, and Mikey's an only child. But Lauren and Mali-Koa are her other aunts."

Tobie grinned. "I'm the coolest Evans aunt."

Luke laughed. "Okay."

Tobie rolled her eyes, leaning back into Luke's chest. He tickled Tami's toes and Tobie looked at Tracy, who grinned. "Happy birthday, the two of you."