Chapter 5: 'Cause I'm Awesome!

Start from the beginning

     I’m definitely envying his fit body to the T. My body has never looked like that, and the few muscles I’m sporting on now seem like a joke in comparison to the man in front of me. Was this what Mel wanted, to injure my ego and self-esteem by presenting to me an epitome of male virility to knock some sense into me?

       Because it’s definitely working. Hands down to that.

        Our eyes seemed to make contact, and he was obviously was sizing me up for what I can tell, and he looked even more amused as I kept my awkward smile plastered on my face. I must look like a total ass right now. Giving him another once over, my self-esteem went down the gutter to never surface again. His face looked…I don’t know, handsome? I’m a heterosexual man, father of two,  so obviously I’m not the best person to be checking out another man, but I can definitely tell that he’s really attractive.

       He’s got a strong jaw, and a cocky smirk that seemed to be permanently tattooed on his lips. His dark locks were styled carelessly over his hair, with a I-just-got-out-of-bed look that I could never pull off in my teen years, he was wearing the typical bad boy outfit. Leather on leather, and would you look at that! More leather! It amazes me how long the fashion has survived over the years to characterize a bad boy.

      I couldn’t help not noticing the almost nonexistent scar below his left eye, the size of a pinkie, which was pretty much the only thing that marred his almost close-to-perfect face.

       Should I say something, or…? I’m not all that sure if this is a real date or if Mel just intended this to be  one-on-one with a man whom woman would in a heartbeat declare the epitome of a sex god. Sensing my inability to start off a conversation – since I’m such a loser at meeting new people who completely demote my self-esteem – he immediately opened his mouth to say something.

     “Hello, I’m Darren and I’m here—“ he started to say a greeting as my phone started to holler for attention. Dang it, I totally forgot to put it on vibrate or silent. Well, this is embarrassing. I quickly pulled it out of my back pocket and looked at the caller ID, immediately looking back up at him in apology.

       “Sorry, I have to take this; hold that thought, though, I’ll be right back,” I told him quickly as I went to my feet and he simply nodded and signaled for a waiter to come to the table, as I quickly walked out through a secluded outdoor balcony near the back that had a beautiful view of a little park with an enormous water fountain. But right now there’s no time to admire the scenery, so I quickly pressed the tactile screen to answer the call.

       “Is everything okay? Are the kids alright?” I immediately questioned, fully aware of the loud voices and laughter in the background of the call.

      I heard shuffling and a shout to keep quiet from the other line, “Oh, hello to you too, sweetie. Your father and I are alright, thanks for asking,” my mother’s sarcasm evident. I can even imagine her hand on her hip as she arches her eyebrow with attitude.

       I rolled my eyes, happy that she couldn’t see me through the phone (thank God she doesn’t know how to make a video phone call, since she’s stuck on only needing a cellphone to call and get texts) or I’d be a goner, “Then if the kids are fine and so are you and dad, then what’s the meaning of this call. I told you I had something to do tonight.”

       Leaning against the balcony, my back to the beautiful scenery, and my eyes stuck with glaring at the beautiful mahogany closed doors. “Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know all about your little date with McHottie,” she ranted to my astonishment.

       “What, you knew about this little scheme and you didn’t even think to tell your only son about it?” I asked outraged, “Have you gone bonkers in the past hours without my acknowledgement?”