Chapter 4

*Beware of grammar mistakes and possible inconsistencies (It's one in the morning and I have work in four hours so I won't have time to edit).

__________________________________________________________________________

Sunlight peaked past the neighboring buildings and into my kitchen. The smell of Cuban coffee danced its way throughout my small studio apartment. I hummed as I poured myself a cup of the coffee and sat down at the counter that separated the living room and kitchen. My laptop sat atop of the counter with scattered bills around. As I turned it on I looked around my small home and smiled.

Though my home was small I loved it. With just on bedroom, a bathroom, and a living room that connected with the kitchen, there was nothing else I could ever want. It was the first lace I had moved into when I realized there was no pint in trying to run from the underworld. Even when I started earning money that would buy me a bigger place. I refused to leave. It was one of those things that made me feel like I had a normal life.

Once logged into my laptop, I scrolled through news websites. Since Matteo had demanded me to go to the club earlier than normal the past few days I hadn't had time to watch t.v or get updated with what was going on around the world.

I liked to be informed with what went on around the world. Not knowing what was going on made me feel detached and secluded from the world. It was a horrible feeling especially if you spent most of your days sleeping and nights holed up in a night club.

I scrolled through various news articles, each one reporting the usual; political disputes between the U.S opposing parties, some celebrity getting a divorce, Kim Kardashian posting a new nude photo on the internet, and the weekly murders that always occurred in New York.

My interst started to dim as I read through all of the recent articles. that is, until I ame across a particular article. the headline read:

REMAINS OF CLUB OWNER FOUND IN RIVER!

That was new. I felt a little stab of worry as I imagined my former boss being the main character of the article. I laughed at my crazy thoughts. Shaking my head, I clicked on the story. My eyes quickly scanned the contents as I brought the cup of coffee up to my lips.

My eyes widened as I re-read the name of the club owner over twice. There, on the second line was my former bosses name! The article read:

"Just three days ago NYPD found remains of a man believed to be Fabian Acardi in the river. Speculation was raised earlier in the weak when the body remains were first discovered. However, forensics have finally confirmed this morning that the DNA matches said man..."

With shaky hands I pushed my laptop away and stood up. the cup of coffee slipped from my hands. the hot contents of the cup splashed against my chest as the cup collided and shattered against the counter. I screamed and jumped back away from the counter. Though I wore a shirt that covered my chest, I could still feel the heat of the coffee burning my skin.

With shaky hands I removed the wet shirt and ran to the sink. I grabbed some paper towels and gently dabbed at my chest. It was merely a superficial bun but damn did it hurt.

I wasn't shaken about the fact that one of the many New York mafiosos had killed someone. That was something I had grown used to reading and hearing about, as sad as it is. What had me shaken up was the fact that it was someone so close to me who had been the target. Everyone in my job knew that there was always a poer change and if someone didn't want to step down from their position then they would be put out by force.

Many people had this romantic cidea that everyone in the mafia saw each other as close family and that they would do anything for each other. While that was true for the most part, when someone of their family started screwing things up then they were going to be on the big guys radar and they were going to be wiped out. Personally, after being around these people for a few years I had come to realize that for a lot of the lower ranks money and power was more important than family.